Car Stalls And Dies Very Often

Ransom

Sep 29, 2017
I just recently purchased my 1999 mustang v6, the guy who sold it to me said it had no problems that he knew of ofcourse... and a day after me driving it, it started to stall and sputter and jerk extremely bad! I have replaced the fuel filter, it didn't seem to dirty but was dirty, I also replaced the filler neck grommet that connects to the gas tank and when I replaced it the old grommet was in pieces I hope the other half isn't inside the gas tank and clogging up fuel lines, but the car runs good in the morning still will stall but not as bad as it will later in the day it will stall so bad the wheel will lock up and the car will die, and I can crank it back up one second afterwards and it will run for maybe a mile or so then do it again, on the interstate it does it extremely bad and going up hills it will do it extremely bad, I've cleaned the maf but not the iac idk if it would help... it may be the egr but there's also 1000 other things it could be I'm hoping someone can help me on these forums or someone who's had a similar issue could help me resolve mine...

Also it recently started not wanting to shift into 3rd but I've added shift ease and it seemed to fix that problem im trying to drive it least as possible til I solve the problem! Any help at all I'd appreciate I haven't even had the car for a week and I feel like I purchased a lemon, my uncle who is a mater mechanic will take a look at it tmw for me.

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry-I meant to delete the double post about your O2 sensors... And I deleted them both :(

When you say the O2 sensors are reading/do you mean throwing a code/Check engine light?
Are there any other codes?

It's alright, and yea it's throwing a code for both 02 sensors the check engine light is on for that reason, no other codes yet though, I even cleared the codes then the o2 sensors came right back up

Ok I will do that indeed what do you think could have taken them out or is there to many things that could've caused it cause the o2s on the car look fairly new

Given that the text of the DTC calls out a "circuit Malfunction" it's almost certain that "something" else took the O2 sensors out. Think "wiring". For example the wiring harness making contact with hot exhaust.

>>>From Ford service manual.
P0136 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-12)

• Pinched, shorted, and corroded wiring and pins.
  • Crossed sensor wires.
  • Exhaust leaks.
  • Contaminated or damaged sensor.

P0141 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-12)

See DTC P0135

• Short to VPWR in harness or HO2S.
  • Water in harness connector.
  • Open VPWR circuit.
  • Open GND circuit.
  • Low battery voltage.
  • Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
  • Damaged HO2S heater.
  • Damaged PCM.

Reactions: 1 user