Car stalls suddenly

gtturboman

Nov 28, 2003
Athens PA
It only happens when Im slowing down to make a turn . I will push in the clutch in and start to turn and the car just dies . I notice the voltage drops down also . I just took the car out of storage the other day , I never had any problems before . Any suggestions would be apreciated .Thanks in advance .
tom :(

• Sponsors (?)

once had that happen on another car- the steering column was loose and would cut out during a turn. i seriously doubt that is your problem, but worth mentioning.

any codes? does it start right back up? do you have a fuel pressure gauge on the car (that is in the cowl or somewhere visable)?

im thinking it has to be something kinda weird, which makes it tough.

if you turn the wheel when sitting stationary does it happen (or only while moving)? try to provide very particular info like that, since this one is strange (at least to me).

The check engine light doesnt come before it happens , so I dont know if there would be any codes . But I will check. The car will start right back up after it stalls I dont have a fuel pressure guage . I think it maybe fuel related also . I wondered if could be the fuel stabilizer that I put before I put it in storage . I know my alternator is bad but I dont think dont know if I that cause the car to just shutoff . It happened after driving for about 20 min. If the TFI module is bad couldnt cause it to suddenly shutoff ?
thanks
tom :shrug:

two common things i know of that cause the car to shut down when hot are TFI module and fuel pump. fortunately it is easy to check to guess which one is at fault.
next time it does this (and wont start), ground a plug wire and see if you have spark).

fuel stabilizer should do nothing harmful (i use it all the time in the bikes and lesser driven cars).

you can have codes stored in KAM, while never having triggered the CEL. worth checking.

good luck.

thanks for the reply.
When I had the car out today it quit on me 5 times . The TFI module is kind of hard to get at were the distributor is set at . The fuel pump sound strong when you start the car . When it stalls it starts right back up . It doesnt do it when you are driving along just when push in clutch to down shift or slow down . The voltage and tach drop . How do I check the KAM codes ?

It might have to do with the clutch.If the clutch is not engaging the whole way when you come to a almost stop to turn.The flywheel is still engaged with the trany and the low miles per hour is draging the engine down and stalling it.I would read up on how the clutch works and even how a automatic stall converter works.Then you will under stand.When you push clutch in to turn push on the gas and keep up the rpms and see if it stalls.

maybe the ignition switch too...fords have crappy ones seems like. if i dont have my key in the right spot my car cuts off if i'm out of gear cuz it quit sending signal to the computer or whatever and cuts out spark. start your car up, and just wiggle the key and see if you can get it to stall without turning the key to off, just seeing if there's any play there, right. try that, could be your problem.

KAM is keep alive memory. it is just where codes are stored. point was that though the CEL may not be on, codes could have been stored. the repair manual tells how to do it, and parts stores often do it (for free).

if we go with the clutch not disengaging idea, what happens if you put it in gear and push the clutch in and start the car? (make sure there is nothing in front of you, etc).
i assume it does not always stall out, or you would never leave the driveway.
now on some cars, when the pilot bearing starts to seize, symptoms like yours can happen. hmmm. not sure.

can you tell if it is an electrical cutting out, or more like mechanical stalling (like if you cruise up to a light, but never take it out of gear and dont push the clutch pedal)?

i dont know. i hope others have some ideas. good luck.

I dont think it the clutch , everything was all new last year . When driving the car just shuts off , no bucking or popping or backfiring or anything . All of a sudden the all lights on the gauges come on . Then I just push in the clutch turn the key and it starts right back up . I think I will have the tfi module tested, and maybe change the fuel filter Im unsure what to do really . Like I had said before I had no problems year, just now after taking it out of storage. I will check all the sensors and run codes agian :shrug:
thanks
tom

Hmmm...i was thinking you might want to check your coil to make sure you just arent loosing spark. Also quickly check the ignition switch and all the wires going to it...make sure nothing is getting pinched on has rotted out. What is your voltmeter reading when you are cruising around? Does it only stall out when its idling, or does it hapen at higher RPM's too? good luck with this man?!

I changed the coil . I took it over to Autozone he said the coil is no good . I changed it and it still did it . Could it be the fact that my alternator is shot ? The check engine light flashed so Im going to check the codes agian .
thanks agian
tom

i think its the ignition switch like i was saying in my post earlier and somebody else restated. mines goin bad in my car, and all my dummy lights will flash, and hit a bump or nudge the switch the wrong way and it cuts power to your ignition/computer, so if you're out of gear, it will stall out. my moneys on that. take it for what you will.

id also recommend replacing the ignition switch before you go any further, whether its the culprit or not...its easy to replace(if you have tamper-proof torx)and its like 8 dollars...sounds to me like it could be a possibility anyway

id also check for vaccum leaks...and when you say your ALT is shot, is it keeping your battery charged or not? Whats your idle speed set at? and does it do it when its hot or cold or both? The voltage drop you mentioned...does this happen just before it cuts out or does it drop at the same time it dies(normal)??

Mine did the same thing. When I slowed down, ie pushed the clutch in, and foot off the gas, it would die. A complete tune up solved about 50-70% of the problem. The rest was solved by cleaning the IAB valve. Might give that a try.

Howard

Does the car have a low idle and die or can you keep the rpms up when you turn and it cut out when you keep the rpm at lets say 1600.Try to see if it is just a low idle speed and the extra load turning puts on the engine is stalling it.Or even at a higher rpm it cuts right out.More information needed.