Car turns over then dies...Please Help

SilverGT

Dec 17, 2003
My mustang have been sick or something for the last couples of days.....here is what wrong...
-2 days ago
The car started to stall out when i was driving on the highway going on to the offramp....i put the clutch in and when the rpm was getting lower it stalled out....
-yesterday
I had the car parked in the garage...overnight...in the morning when i try startin the car it completely turn over and starts up....as soon as the rpm dropped down it stalled out....it did this for like 10 times....so i decided to wait....after like 1hr of waiting...the first time it happened the same as it did the last few tries then...on the 2nd try it started up when i gave it gas and held it at idle for like 2 min....after that i drove it for the whole day and nothing happened....
-today....it starts up and shuts down right after....now the service light is on...I went to Autozone and the ses light code came up with a MAf....Low current? or something...i cant remember.

any idea what is wrong? I think it the idle control. but i have no clue....if you can tell me what wrong or what i can do to fix it it would be very appricated...thank you....

People on another forum told me it can be my MAF clogged with soot or the TPS is shot.

I took apart the MAF and the 2 electrial part that hangs to sense the current is pure white...is it suppsoed to be that color?

Edit: My ca is a 2000 Mustang GT

• Sponsors (?)

i know you got a code for the maf. but it sounds like the engine isn't getting fuel. i.e. - the engine shutting down, unless you are on the gas. try changing the fuel filter & see if that helps. & also give the iac a good cleaning as well :nice:

c2see21 said:
i know you got a code for the maf. but it sounds like the engine isn't getting fuel. i.e. - the engine shutting down, unless you are on the gas. try changing the fuel filter & see if that helps. & also give the iac a good cleaning as well :nice:

IAC? sorry dont think i know that short term.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=485278 this is the link to a thread that has a pic of the iac. My car is doing the same thing. It stalls after I start it unless I give it gas, and as soon as i let off the gas it stalls, after it warms up it will idle but like crap and at too low rpm(300-400). I think its the iac, i took it off and took it too auto zone but the guy said it looked ok(he said if it was bad it would probably be full of carbon and very obvious) he thought it was my tps(throttle position sensor) which is located on front of the throttle body(that black box i think). He said a bad iac would cause the car to idle too high(i thought a bad iac could also cause it to not idle enough, does anyone know?)He said too spray throttle body cleaner into the throttle body with the car on. Im gonna try this tomorrow but I have my doubts this will fix the problem. A friend of mine said his maf came loose or something before and it happened to him. Make sure your maf connection is good since you through a maf code. My fuel filter was changed recently so thats not it, and it sounds like youre having the same problem as me. I might just buy the iac and hope it fixes it(its not returnable). Sorry about the long thread. Hopefully someone knows what to do so we can fix our cars :nice:

ps-the fuel filter is easy to change , the tool costs only a few buck, you just need to kill the fuel pump(disconnect the switch in the trunk by the bumper, drivers side) and let the car run till it dies, took about 15 minutes on mine

jbrown said:
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=485278 this is the link to a thread that has a pic of the iac. My car is doing the same thing. It stalls after I start it unless I give it gas, and as soon as i let off the gas it stalls, after it warms up it will idle but like crap and at too low rpm(300-400). I think its the iac, i took it off and took it too auto zone but the guy said it looked ok(he said if it was bad it would probably be full of carbon and very obvious) he thought it was my tps(throttle position sensor) which is located on front of the throttle body(that black box i think). He said a bad iac would cause the car to idle too high(i thought a bad iac could also cause it to not idle enough, does anyone know?)He said too spray throttle body cleaner into the throttle body with the car on. Im gonna try this tomorrow but I have my doubts this will fix the problem. A friend of mine said his maf came loose or something before and it happened to him. Make sure your maf connection is good since you through a maf code. My fuel filter was changed recently so thats not it, and it sounds like youre having the same problem as me. I might just buy the iac and hope it fixes it(its not returnable). Sorry about the long thread. Hopefully someone knows what to do so we can fix our cars :nice:

ps-the fuel filter is easy to change , the tool costs only a few buck, you just need to kill the fuel pump(disconnect the switch in the trunk by the bumper, drivers side) and let the car run till it dies, took about 15 minutes on mine

what u mean let the car run till it dies?...My car wont even start...:( do u mean just leave it in the on postion and let it die? and will the car start back up if i do this lolz..taht would suck if it dosent start bakc up

Edit what is the tool call so i can remove my fuel filter?

well I changed my fuel filter when my car was running fine. assuming your car will run, you kill the fuel pump, start the car, than leave it idling(which our f****** up cars wont do right now) until all the fuel in the lines is used up, it will eventuall stall when the gas in the lines is gone. I seriously doubt changing the fuel filter will fix your problem though. I think the tool is called "quick disconnect" for ford vehicles, ask the guy at the auto part store he would know. Will your car start if you give it a little gas as soon as it turns over?

I think I might have just fixed my problem, I sprayed the throttle body cleaner into the throttle body with the car on, hit the throttle a little to suck it through, it idled better but still stalled(probably b/c I had my air intake disconnected). than I took off my iac and sprayed the throttle body cleaner into it and used qtips(hold it with the electrical part facing up so you dont get any liquid into it). I looked at my maf and it looked fine, reconnected all vacumm lines and made sure the cai was on tight, and it seems to be idling fine, but i havent test drove it yet. You might want to try this, the cleaner was 2.50 at auto zone. As for the fuel filter if you keep it running w/your foot on the gas you should be able to clear most of the gas out of the lines, just hold down the gas intill your car shuts off(after disconnecting the fuel pump switch). The more throttle you give it the sooner it should die. Try cleaning the iac and throttle body first see if this helps.

even though it may be a temporary fix, it helps you identify the problem at least, I didnt want to spend 50 bucks or whatever if it wasnt my iac that was causing the problem. If my car starts doing the same thing again I will replace the iac.