Car wont cut off with Key

mason1958

Oct 7, 2010
I have a 1969 Mach 1 S code i went to cut the car off and it would not cut off. I had to turn the switch all the way to ACC to kill the motor. I assume this may a switch problem. I would really appreciate and other thoughts as to what this might be. This is the first time this has happened. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

It sure sounds like a switch problem. If it stopped in the ACC position it sounds like the contacts maybe melted and is still making contact in the off position. Try it again and see if it does the same thing.

The easiest way would probably be to pull the coil wire off. I've never done it while a car was running so you might get shocked. Might ought to have a pair of rubber gloves handy or flip it off with a screwdriver or a long dry stick. LOL

If the key doesn't stop the engine again in the ACC position and you do kill it by pulling the coil wire you might want to unhook your battery cable to stop the flow of juice.

Easiest is to cut the wire :)

Best would be... pull the coil wire off. Be careful though - easy way to get shocked there.

If you pull it from the COIL side (not the center of the distributor), and dont touch anything else you will not get shocked.

Pulling it from the center of the distributor while leaning against the fender will result in shockage.. Ask me how i know :rlaugh:

It wasnt much of a shock. and stopped once the engine died.