car wont idle upon cold start-up, bad IAC?

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
my cars idle is set around 750 at operating temp.

when i start the car after its been sitting it wont idle at all, with the lumpy cam it will die until the engine starts warming up. nothing kicks up the idle to keep it running.

is its the IAC's job to raise the idle on a cold start up?
mines old, may be the factory unit, i have cleaned it before but i have never had problems with it so i doubt it needed cleaning before lol.

anything else i need to check? or will i just have to deal with it with the cam and all?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

the iac smooths out the idle from what i have experienced. i got too much carb cleaner in it once and it idled like dump when it was connected, then when i unplugged it it idled fine and gave me check engine.

try unplugign it before you start it.

my friend had a problem with the cold idle up thing, and i dont remember what he said it was, but im kinda sure it wasnt the iac.

hope i helped a little.

I like Mike's advice.

That said, it does sound like an IAC issue.
Does the idle bog when you turn on the AC as well (while at operating temps)?

Good luck.

You guys with idle problems could same a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first post has all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix you idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D: