car wont start right

modem316

Sep 22, 2010
I have a 2000 mustang gt. When i try to start the car it will try to turn over but will not start. when i jump the car it starts right up and runs fine (took it on a 45 mins drive). As soon as I turn the car off and try to restart it, will not start back up. I just replace the fuel pump and I had the battery checked right before that and the people at the auto place said it was good still. Any ideas where I could start looking for the problem? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

When you say the engine will "try to turn over" (emphasis mine), what do you mean?

Generally speaking, to "turn over" is to have the engine rotated mechanically by the starter motor. Is the starter not turning the engine or turning it very slowly?

Or is the engine rotating but not firing?

If it's the former, it's probably a battery or battery cable issue.

If it's the latter, reply and we'll post some more ideas.

it sounds like the starter is turning very slowing, almost like it dont have enough cca to give it enough juice to start it. Could my alternator be going bad and its charging the battery enough to keep the car running but not enough to start it?

Why guess? Take it to the autoparts store and have the battery and alternator tested. Then you will know for sure if the battery is strong.

Once the alternator and battery has been confirmed good, check the battery terminals. Are they clean and tight?

If still no luck, post back.