car wont start

rednotch88

Sep 6, 2008
CHICAGO
I been on a build not for over two years and its time to start her up...I hear this box under driver side dash clicking(located on the steering column brace).There is a relay missing on a wire near the computer its a red/black plug where a relay would fit.could that be the problem?I don't remember one being there.please someone help.I don't know where to look.That box that clicks under dash...do they go bad?i will go back out right now and do more tests.

• Sponsors (?)

A relay has 4 or 5 wires going into it. There's one above the EEC.

Is the battery charged? Connections clean? Is the clutch safety switch plugged in?

I have an auto harness going to tranny and 5 speed in the car.How do I bypass neutral saftey.battery is charged.I ran all harnesses under dash so I have one plug with relay in it and one without one.Do i need eec relay to crank car(make starter spin)My alternator is not yet hooked up as well.problem?I can hook it up while out of car if that is the issue.I just need this thing to crank at this time.

if u jump it at Starter Solenoid should turn the car over if its ran to the starter with a good batt u might have a bad starter or solenoid u can take a jumper cable to the post on the batt to the wire to the starter should turn the car over if not bad starter

one wire from the key will give it power when the key is turn to start is the only time u should have key power thats key side you should have power all time key on key off on one side of the Starter Solenoid if u have that i would pull the starter out take it to a parts store and test it

ok..the small wire that goes to solenoid gets 0 power and key direction.battery side has power.starter side gets no power when key is turned,and the starter will engage if I jump the two leads of the solenoid.thats all I know at this point.

87-88 mustangs keys to hot wire ur car :shrug:
12 VOLT CONSTANT YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER RED/LIGHT BLUE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER 2 N/A
IGNITION 1 RED/LIGHT GREEN (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
IGNITION 2 BLACK/LIGHT GREEN (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
IGNITION 3 N/A
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 GRAY/YELLOW (+)

i believe my neutral safty switch is the problem.I'm going to over ride it.now the question is I can get 12v when key is in the crank position,but when i let go and it sits in the on position it has 5v.Can I do that?