Carb-EFI Swap Question

Hey guys,

I have been thinking about this for some time now. Well, I have a 83 GLX Convertible, original V6/Auto. What I want to do is swap in a 5.0/AOD. For my parts car, I have a 87 Cougar w/ a 5.0/AOD already in there in good shape with 119,000 mi. What I was wondering was could I convert my car to EFI using the cougar's harness and all of the other EFI stuff? I was looking at a website called http://fordfuelinjection.com and they show you instructions on how its done and what parts can be used for this kind of swap.

Also, my other concerns were the gas tank and the drive shaft. I am pretty sure I have to change the gas tank out with a Fuel injected one, but can I use the driveshaft from the Cougar too. It has the same 7.5 rear that my Mustang has.

Lastly, the gauges. My car is pretty stripped out under the hood already, so my plan was to clean and paint it again, then drop the engine/tranny/wiring into the "new" engine bay. Since I don't have too many wires under the hood, how do I hook up the factory gauges on my carbed stang to the EFI setup? I figured that doing this kind of swap would be easy while having a donor car to get the parts from. One day, I will convert to the H.O. specs but I just want to get the car going again. And for the exhaust, I already have '88 Mustang headers and h-pipe so all I need is the cat-back. If you guys have any other suggestions for me, I would appreciate it. :)

If you want to see pictures of my car, just go to...
http://groups.msn.com/1983FordMustangGLXConvertibles and click on Jason's 83 GLX

• Sponsors (?)

Hey,

I'm sorry, but I don't have any extra. I am trying to keep the ones that I have now! :( They are pretty hard to find. Check my site out by the way, it has some history of these cars (as well as your friends' GT) Does anyone have some other suggestions? Thanks.

ideally, when converting to efi, you're going to want to use the entire harness from engine compartment to tails. the 86 gt mustang wiring harness is a perfect swap, as it's already setup for efi, and will go right in, + swapping to mass air is easy. If you use any other wiring harness, you're going to wind up cutting and splicing a lot of things.

I imagine the cougar harness is pretty close, but I don't think those cougers share the mustang dash design, and the dash harness may be different. the reason you'll need the dash harness is because the engine and efi harness plug into the dash harness, and the dash harness plugs into the rest of the harness that goes along the rest of the car. the mustang 86 efi harness is specific to that year. beyond that, I can't help you.

as for the gas tank, an efi tank would be easiest. You're gonna need an internal fuel pump. As well, your fuel sender in your current tank will read literally backwards if you use it, so your going to need an 86 sender.

come on over to www.foureyedpride.com forums, and we'll help you with all of the other details, and there are even a few guys who should know if that cougar harness will work.