• Mustang Forums
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech

carb help please

  • Thread starter Thread starter Markysinatra
  • Start date Start date Jul 7, 2005
M

Markysinatra

New Member
Jun 1, 2004
39
0
0
buffalo ny
Jul 7, 2005
#1
  • Jul 7, 2005
  • #1
hey I finally got one of the highly sought after offy 4bbl intakes for my 2.8, now I need a carb what cfm should I buy? I know a 390 or so is recommended but they are quite expensive, anything else I could use? The cam I'm gonna buy say's up to a 625 cfm is ok is that right?
 
M

myfirstii

Founding Member
Feb 28, 2002
401
0
16
chicago,Il.
Jul 7, 2005
#2
  • Jul 7, 2005
  • #2
I dont have a answer as to what size carb to use. But i can tell you one thing a 625 is way to big for a 2.8. A stock 302 shouud use around a 600 cfm. And that might even be over doing it.
Pat
 

Dano78

Founding Member
Nov 1, 1999
2,633
2
47
Vancouver, WA
Jul 7, 2005
#3
  • Jul 7, 2005
  • #3
The 390 cfm holley (p/n 8007) is probably the ideal carb for the application. I've found that some places and parts stores sell remanufactured versions of these carbs at a much lower price than say a new one.

Or probably what you'd rather do is get a 450 cfm Holley (p/n 9776) which is basically the same exact carb as the 390 cfm but it doesn't come with a choke and has mechanical secondaries rather than the vaccum secondaries the 390 cfm has. These 450's were intended for dual quad usage but should work just fine for your application. Annnndd much cheaper at about $185 at summit. For another $20-$30 you can add on an electric choke yourself as the 450 still allows for one.
 

Dano78

Founding Member
Nov 1, 1999
2,633
2
47
Vancouver, WA
Jul 7, 2005
#4
  • Jul 7, 2005
  • #4
myfirstii said:
I dont have a answer as to what size carb to use. But i can tell you one thing a 625 is way to big for a 2.8. A stock 302 shouud use around a 600 cfm. And that might even be over doing it.
Pat
Click to expand...

Yeah it is a bit unless you build the crap outt it and then it shold be able to eat up the 600 cfm. My shop teacher in highschool had a '72 Capri with the BADDEST sounding and FASTEST 2.6L I've EVER seen. He had a 600 Holley on it I believe, but the 2.6 was so built it was barely streetable.
 
M

Markysinatra

New Member
Jun 1, 2004
39
0
0
buffalo ny
Jul 7, 2005
#5
  • Jul 7, 2005
  • #5
any way to install a manual choke to the 450 because i'm thinking of gettin one of them I am watching one on ebay real cheap (i'm quite broke)
unless any of you have one to sell or any other 2.8 shall i say performance parts
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

R
1974 Datsun 620 pickup / 5.0L HO
  • RJH46
  • Aug 24, 2025
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
1
Views
372
Other Auto Tech Aug 24, 2025
Noobz347
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
220
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
343
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Place to Avoid: Jamison Auto Group in Gulfport, MS
  • D Durden
  • Oct 20, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
46
Views
3K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 16, 2026
Noobz347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?