Carb question, SOMEONE HELP PLEASE!!

riz91302

Founding Member
Sep 1, 2001
Michigan
lets see if anyone can fix this problem im having,,,

as most of you already know from my other posts ,, i just did a efi to carb conversion, ok well i got it running and everything and it idles really good and will rev to the sky...

here is the problem though,, i went to take it for a ride , the first time since the conversion and when i try to drive it,,it bucks like im at a damn rodeo and is undriveable

i timed it by ear and the fuel pressure is set at 6lbs
does the carb need to be adjusted or something??
its a holley (basically a stock replacement that was on the 84 stangs)

anyone know what i should do to fix the problem, its going for paint in a week so i have to figure this out
thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Need a bit more info here, you did not say if it just ran badly, or backfired or stumbled.

For starters, I would set the base timing at 8 deg, with a light, hook the vacuum advance to the carb timed spark port, and check the float levels. Also make sure you have the correct ballast resistor setup in place for the coil.

If the ignition seems ok, check that the accelerator pump linkage is properly adjusted to move with the throttle linkage.

Make sure you do not have any vacuum leaks. I would put a vacuum gage on it, both at idle and then while driving and see the vacuum level when the problem occurs. This may give you a hint if it is a leak or a power valve problem, and whether it is an idle, enrichment or main jet problem.

Then perhaps check the main jet size, it may be too small. I swapped 62 jets into a truck to get better mileage, and it just would not run smooth, bucked and such. Put the 68's back in and it was fine.