Carburetor for 93 2.3L non turbo

Rupert1871

Dec 5, 2019
Florida
Hey everyone, I am doing a EFI to carb swap on my 93' 2.3L and was wondering what a good carb would be for this application. My distributor and coil are ordered and on their way so all I need is the carb. My budget for one is around $150-$200 any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks! ( I have a OMC Cobra intake manifold on right now)

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Hey everyone, I am doing a EFI to carb swap on my 93' 2.3L and was wondering what a good carb would be for this application. My distributor and coil are ordered and on their way so all I need is the carb. My budget for one is around $150-$200 any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks! ( I have a OMC Cobra intake manifold on right now)
If you really want to ditch a good EFI system for a carb, you have three "good" choices.

1. Holley/Weber 5200
2. Holley 2300
3. Holley 390cfm 4-bbl.

The first choice was actually used by Ford on some 2.0, 2.3, and 2.8 applications. It was also really popular on VWs back in the day. There are multiple cfm ratings, so do some research.

The 2300 is a lot like the old Autolite/Motorcraft 2100 and 2150. It's simple, available in 350 and 500cfm (the Autolite/Motorcraft carbs were available in multiple sizes up to 480cfm), and reliable. I recommend the Holley 2300 over the Autolite/Motorcraft options because it's more easily tuned, but if you can find one of those for the right price in good shape, they will work too.

The 390cfm 4-bbl from Holley is a great choice for the 2.3 as well. It'll require an adapter plate or the old Offenhauser intake manifold for these engines, but it works quite well.

There are other choices, I once ran a 500cfm Rochester 2G from a Chevrolet pickup on my 2.3, but I recommended the three I did and mentioned the 2100 for a reason.

If you really want to ditch a good EFI system for a carb, you have three "good" choices.

1. Holley/Weber 5200
2. Holley 2300
3. Holley 390cfm 4-bbl.

The first choice was actually used by Ford on some 2.0, 2.3, and 2.8 applications. It was also really popular on VWs back in the day. There are multiple cfm ratings, so do some research.

The 2300 is a lot like the old Autolite/Motorcraft 2100 and 2150. It's simple, available in 350 and 500cfm (the Autolite/Motorcraft carbs were available in multiple sizes up to 480cfm), and reliable. I recommend the Holley 2300 over the Autolite/Motorcraft options because it's more easily tuned, but if you can find one of those for the right price in good shape, they will work too.

The 390cfm 4-bbl from Holley is a great choice for the 2.3 as well. It'll require an adapter plate or the old Offenhauser intake manifold for these engines, but it works quite well.

There are other choices, I once ran a 500cfm Rochester 2G from a Chevrolet pickup on my 2.3, but I recommended the three I did and mentioned the 2100 for a reason.
And none of those can be bought for 150-200.00.
and fix the thread title ”Mod dude”.

can you get one from an old Ranger? Should work. Or Pinto/Bobcat, Fairmont, etc.

As long as the engine is close to stock, the stock motocraft carb will feed it just fine. Even slightly modded, it'll feed it just fine. They don't require much.

What are you doing for fuel pump?

And none of those can be bought for 150-200.00.
and fix the thread title ”Mod dude”.
Bull:poo:.

Ebay, swap meets, salvage yards. Then a $30 rebuild kit.

Hell, I got lucky and picked up a reman 2150 still sealed at a swap meet for $50. It's still on the 2.8 I pulled out of the old man's Capri for the 5.0 swap.

Here's four candidates on Ebay right now, I'd verify whether nor not they needed a rebuild when I got them, and any of the above could use some choke work more than likely (I detest hot water chokes, and usually convert those to manual). On top of that, any of them may need to be re-jetted for OP's application, but all will work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Bull:poo:.

Ebay, swap meets, salvage yards. Then a $30 rebuild kit.

Hell, I got lucky and picked up a reman 2150 still sealed at a swap meet for $50. It's still on the 2.8 I pulled out of the old man's Capri for the 5.0 swap.

Here's four candidates on Ebay right now, I'd verify whether nor not they needed a rebuild when I got them, and any of the above could use some choke work more than likely (I detest hot water chokes, and usually convert those to manual). On top of that, any of them may need to be re-jetted for OP's application, but all will work.

In my experience somebody who has never used a carburetor, isn’t gonna find the prospect of having to rebuild a factory version appealing. At the same time, a carb that old is typically more worn out than any “30.00 rebuild kit” Is gonna fix.

In my experience somebody who has never used a carburetor, isn’t gonna find the prospect of having to rebuild a factory version appealing. At the same time, a carb that old is typically more worn out to the point of being “ saved” by a 30.00 rebuild kit.
Then that someone should stay away from carburetors!:rlaugh:

Carburetors suck. Rebuilds and tuning are part of putting up with one.

As far as being worn out, depends on the design, age, usage, and a whole bunch of other wild cards. At OP's budget, used is what's out there until the Chinese start selling knock-offs of more than 750cfm Holley double pumpers.

I agree. That same someone shouldn’t be converting over a potentially easier to deal with existing system that’ll make more power on an already underpowered platform, than to go around scrounging some skanky emissions era carb off of a long dead engine from some guy on eBay.

That’ll probably never run right afterwards.