Carburetor Problem

tx65coupe

Nov 29, 1999
I have an Edelbrock Thunder AVS 650 on top of my car's 302. Everything has been working fine for about a year and a little over 3000 miles. Well other than running slightly rich. It didn't matter if it was freezing outside or 100 degrees, it would start faily easily and run fine.

This is the one I have.

Edelbrock 1806 - Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS Carburetors - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Earlier tonight on my way back from a car show, it made it almost all the way home from a 30-40 mile drive. Then it started loading up. As I turned into my neighborhood it stalled and would not fire back up. I pushed the car quite a ways downhill until I reached hill that I could not push it up. So I decided to try to restart. Well it barely started. I had to hold the pedal down and keep my foot on the gas. It was definitely flooded. I managed to keep it running long enough to make it on to my street. Then it stalled again. I opened the hood and heard would sounded like a coffee pot.

I removed the air cleaner and looked inside the carb and there was fuel either boiling or something is going on with the floats and it was just flowing into the carb. I don't know what is going on. I wonder if this is the result of too much fuel pressure. I hope the carb is not shot to hell now.

I'll post a picture of how my fuel line is routed. Maybe it is the problem. I just don't get why it never did this when it was 100+ degrees and I had the AC on.

Its kind of ironic that I just installed dealer option hood light and emergency flashers. They both came in handy tonight.

• Sponsors (?)

Here is a picture of how my fuel line is routed. There is an inline Eddy filter before the carb. I also have a transparent filter before the fuel pump. I did not notice anything abnormal there like bubble etc.

tx65coupe-albums-v8-conversion-completed-picture5473-100-0704.jpg