• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Cash Cow

  • Thread starter Thread starter BurningRubber
  • Start date Start date Sep 10, 2007
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
1,865
24
58
Sep 10, 2007
#1
  • Sep 10, 2007
  • #1
So, im sure some of you have gone through this.

Your young, you start working. You save a decent amount of money for your age and then when other things come into play (car, bills, gf, wants/needs) you realize its not so easy to save money any more.

What do you guys suggest for one to do to save some extra cash? Is there any good investments that can be made? Anyone into flipping cars or anything?

Tired of getting paid grains of rice for resturant work and want a semi-steady cash flow while im in school.
 

joshjwc9

Active Member
Jun 12, 2006
1,095
17
39
Palm Harbor, FL
Sep 10, 2007
#2
  • Sep 10, 2007
  • #2
I'm 19 and have flipped cars for a short time.

It is an easy business, but you need to buy and sell with such an increase in wanting price for cars to cover the costs if you keep or cant sell the car for an extended period.

I have flipped a couple fox bodies, 240's and Honda Civics and Integra's with my dad for approx. 6 months and barely broke even.

It is difficult to take a hit on a car when selling it and when your not selling your losing money. Its not something I would suggest to someone who doesnt have alot of money to start out with, the first car we had was a 240 where we made 250 bux out of it, and in the long run it doesnt fund much.

I highly suggest finding a second job or focusing on school and mod as slow as possible like I do. You and I have plenty of time to mod cars or get new ones...
 

eliteJAE

Member
May 29, 2007
0
1
16
Stanford University
Sep 10, 2007
#3
  • Sep 10, 2007
  • #3
with school getting serious, i dont have any time for any jobs when my old man was in high school, he had learned to repair common household appliances like washers, dryers, stoves, coolers, etc. he was pulling in at least 300 dollars a week from simple one hour jobs almost everyday. btw, he was pulling in that type of money in....1978 needless to say he had a badass chevy the equivalent of that in modern times (something that i do) is computer repair lol

as for SERIOUS cash cows......probably do you more harm than good if youre really working hard in school
 

Superhereaux

chicks make me feel inadequate
Founding Member
Jul 30, 2002
538
3
59
South Texas
Sep 10, 2007
#4
  • Sep 10, 2007
  • #4
you could always move some rock...

 
M

mustanggt3685

New Member
Oct 8, 2005
130
0
0
Illinois
Sep 10, 2007
#5
  • Sep 10, 2007
  • #5
Work hard in school- it may pay off in the form of scholarhips and such. It's a great way to save some cash.
 

the98stang

Active Member
Aug 12, 2005
2,408
0
47
Clovis, CA
Sep 11, 2007
#6
  • Sep 11, 2007
  • #6
BurningRubber said:
So, im sure some of you have gone through this.

Your young, you start working. You save a decent amount of money for your age and then when other things come into play (car, bills, gf, wants/needs) you realize its not so easy to save money any more.

What do you guys suggest for one to do to save some extra cash? Is there any good investments that can be made? Anyone into flipping cars or anything?

Tired of getting paid grains of rice for resturant work and want a semi-steady cash flow while im in school.
Click to expand...

I've been turning cars since I was 16. I've made a lot of cash that way. You just need to know what cars are hot, and how to sweet talk people.

It's not easy to save money, but I recommend spending it all NOW! Sounds stupid, right? Not really. Because when you move out, have kids and a wife, you won't have ANY extra cash, unless your making bank. I keep asking myself why I've spent so much money on my car. Then I realize it's because when I'm older, I'll have less time and money for toys/hobbies!
 

the98stang

Active Member
Aug 12, 2005
2,408
0
47
Clovis, CA
Sep 11, 2007
#7
  • Sep 11, 2007
  • #7
joshjwc9 said:
I have flipped a couple fox bodies, 240's and Honda Civics and Integra's with my dad for approx. 6 months and barely broke even.
Click to expand...

You have to know what cars are going to sell good. I have found that accord's and camry's sell REAL quick, it's ridiculous.
 

Rock302

New Member
Apr 20, 2007
14
0
0
Sep 11, 2007
#8
  • Sep 11, 2007
  • #8
That's part of going to college man. Are you needing the cash right away or you want to sock it away for long term.

Stick some money from your paycheck in a savings account or something. Nowadays some accounts are paying 5-6% which is alot better than your typical savings that earned a measly 0.25%.

Or, I think the better option would be to stick it in a good mutual fund and get even better returns. I'm older than you are and I get monthly checks from my fund company anywhere from $500-600 a month for doing nothing. Of course this is over time but you gotta start somewhere.
 

joshjwc9

Active Member
Jun 12, 2006
1,095
17
39
Palm Harbor, FL
Sep 11, 2007
#9
  • Sep 11, 2007
  • #9
the98stang said:
You have to know what cars are going to sell good. I have found that accord's and camry's sell REAL quick, it's ridiculous.
Click to expand...
Trust me, the cars I was turning werent cheap ones, both Integra's were turboed and teh Fox bodies werent crap, all went for more than 5k, but you need money first before you buy a car to flip, its hard to get started without losing money too.
 

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
1,865
24
58
Sep 11, 2007
#10
  • Sep 11, 2007
  • #10
I just want some to stash, a little for now. I was really good at saving and then my habits changed. I need to change them back, hah.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
 

EPIK

Member
Jul 3, 2004
796
1
16
LEFT COAST
Sep 11, 2007
#11
  • Sep 11, 2007
  • #11
the98stang said:
I've been turning cars since I was 16. I've made a lot of cash that way. You just need to know what cars are hot, and how to sweet talk people.

It's not easy to save money, but I recommend spending it all NOW! Sounds stupid, right? Not really. Because when you move out, have kids and a wife, you won't have ANY extra cash, unless your making bank. I keep asking myself why I've spent so much money on my car. Then I realize it's because when I'm older, I'll have less time and money for toys/hobbies!
Click to expand...

That's my theory too!!!!
 

the98stang

Active Member
Aug 12, 2005
2,408
0
47
Clovis, CA
Sep 12, 2007
#12
  • Sep 12, 2007
  • #12
joshjwc9 said:
Trust me, the cars I was turning werent cheap ones, both Integra's were turboed and teh Fox bodies werent crap, all went for more than 5k, but you need money first before you buy a car to flip, its hard to get started without losing money too.
Click to expand...

1) Fords have TERRIBLE resale value. And most people won't buy a Ford. So there is your first problem.

2). You want to buy cars that cost around 2 grand or less. Not too many people have 5 grand in cash laying around, so those cars are going to be hard to sell. Most people buy brand new cars, IF they go out of their way to get a loan.

3). A lot of people don't like modified cars. Especially heavily modified cars with turbo's. They see the car, they KNOW it has been beaten. The average joe doesn't want a speed demon. They want a 30mpg 4 cylinder with low miles, that hasn't been tampered with or riced out.

Trust me, I've sold so many cars, I could write a damn book about it.
 

joshjwc9

Active Member
Jun 12, 2006
1,095
17
39
Palm Harbor, FL
Sep 12, 2007
#13
  • Sep 12, 2007
  • #13
You dont live in the Tampa area, the cars I listed could have easily been bought and resold for at least $800 to $2000 more than what I paid, but most of the cars I bought were using a dealer license from my father and doing little fixes on the cars.

Foxes are increasing in value down here so much that some are going for the same price as some stock 99 and up GT's.

240's are the new bandwagon car so cleaning up the one I bought for 1200 and tuning it up for another 300, I sold it for 2400 bux.

Turboed honda's were the craze down here a couple years ago, but people still want them and overpaid for the two I bought.

I made enough money to split with my dad and buy quite a few things I wanted but it was too time consuming.

Remember there is a sucker born every minute, ask a little more for every car you got...thats what my dad said.
 

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
1,865
24
58
Sep 12, 2007
#14
  • Sep 12, 2007
  • #14
Location has alot to do with it.

Where im at you can take a $1,800 1974 F-150 , cut the mufflers off and slap a "GIT R DONE" sticker on it, jack it to the sky put some 38" mud terrains on it and sell it for 8 grand.

This might be something I want to look into. There are several auction places within an hour or so of me, might be a good idea to start nabbing and flipping.

Is there alot of time/paperwork involved in selling though? I know buying isnt terrible but I havnt sold either one yet.
 
B

Black'02

Member
Mar 5, 2006
100
0
17
Rochester, NY
Sep 12, 2007
#15
  • Sep 12, 2007
  • #15
Well one of the best ways to save is by having it taken out of your paycheck by your employer every time you are paid. With a 401k or just having a set amount deposited into a good savings account you save the money before you see it and can spend it. Also you would be suprised at how much you can save by just cutting out stupid stuff like a daily cup of coffee at starbucks and things like that. Its best to start saving young, especially if its for something long term like retirement.
 

the98stang

Active Member
Aug 12, 2005
2,408
0
47
Clovis, CA
Sep 12, 2007
#16
  • Sep 12, 2007
  • #16
joshjwc9 said:
You dont live in the Tampa area, the cars I listed could have easily been bought and resold for at least $800 to $2000 more than what I paid, but most of the cars I bought were using a dealer license from my father and doing little fixes on the cars.

Foxes are increasing in value down here so much that some are going for the same price as some stock 99 and up GT's.

240's are the new bandwagon car so cleaning up the one I bought for 1200 and tuning it up for another 300, I sold it for 2400 bux.

Turboed honda's were the craze down here a couple years ago, but people still want them and overpaid for the two I bought.

I made enough money to split with my dad and buy quite a few things I wanted but it was too time consuming.

Remember there is a sucker born every minute, ask a little more for every car you got...thats what my dad said.
Click to expand...

That's true....different locations have different "hypes"
 

the98stang

Active Member
Aug 12, 2005
2,408
0
47
Clovis, CA
Sep 12, 2007
#17
  • Sep 12, 2007
  • #17
BurningRubber said:
Is there alot of time/paperwork involved in selling though? I know buying isnt terrible but I havnt sold either one yet.
Click to expand...

It CAN get complicated, but you need to understand the smog laws in your state, as well as registration laws.

In CA, a smog certificate is good for 90 days. So when I buy a car, I have the owner smog it. That way the smog is good for 90 days, and when YOU sell the car, the new owner won't need to smog it.

Also, when buying a car, you have to avoid taxes and registration fees. Esentially, you lie to the government about your identity, so they REALLY don't know who owns the car. So you have to make up a story when you sell the car. Like "it was given to me by my uncle as a gift" etc. I'm not saying you HAVE to do this way, but this way you won't have to register the car in your name, and you won't have to pay taxes (damn the government!!!) PM me if you want some advice. I can help you turn your first car
 

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
1,865
24
58
Sep 12, 2007
#18
  • Sep 12, 2007
  • #18
No smog here, thank goodness... hah.

I figured taxes, registration, and insurance would have to be set up also. That kind of turns me away from the idea. Im not too crazy about lying through it either, maybe there is a legal way around it?
 

the98stang

Active Member
Aug 12, 2005
2,408
0
47
Clovis, CA
Sep 12, 2007
#19
  • Sep 12, 2007
  • #19
BurningRubber said:
No smog here, thank goodness... hah.

I figured taxes, registration, and insurance would have to be set up also. That kind of turns me away from the idea. Im not too crazy about lying through it either, maybe there is a legal way around it?
Click to expand...

There really isn't a legal way around it. Curbside selling (aka flipping) is against the law. You have to risk some to make some. The car really doesn't need to be insured. Most insurance companies will cover you for a month when you buy a new car. Plus, I assume you won't be driving the car. If you do, you're at your own risk.
 

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
1,865
24
58
Sep 12, 2007
#20
  • Sep 12, 2007
  • #20
Yeah I forgot you do have a month to set up insurance. Paying tax and title isnt that much in the long run. I know it cuts down on total profit, but oh well.

Thanks for the advice.
 
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

0
V6 to V8 Swap info
  • 02_2v_Curtis
  • Jan 11, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
904
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jan 11, 2026
02_2v_Curtis
0
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
356
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Place to Avoid: Jamison Auto Group in Gulfport, MS
  • D Durden
  • Oct 20, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
46
Views
3K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 16, 2026
Noobz347
S
65 Coupe I6 Auto to 302 EFI 5 Speed Swap
  • Scuderia
  • Feb 3, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
14
Views
2K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Sep 9, 2025
Noobz347
S
what would you do? sell the project and buy completed or finish project?
  • STANG32
  • Feb 8, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
660
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Feb 16, 2025
rusty428cj
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?