Cast or Steel Distributor gear?

malik641

Nov 24, 2003
South Florida
I'm gonna buy a new distributor for my 87 5.0 w/o module, but i dont know if i have a cast iron distributor gear or a steel distributor gear. is there any way i can tell BEFORE i pull this apart? Like any info on the vin or something?

• Sponsors (?)

You say the motor is a 1987 right? if so it's a roller motor, a roller motor uses a steel camshaft, which in turn uses a steell gear.

The non-roller motor's (1984 and lower 302's, and 1993 and lower windsors) use a cast gear.

DO NOT USE A CAST GEAR ON A ROLLER CAM
DO NOT USE A STELL GEAR ON A CAST CAM

Otherwise you get to pull your oil pan and hope you can get all the shavings out of there before they get in the pump and sieze it.

Reactions: 1 users
A carbon gear can be used with either roller cam or cast iron cam to if you are in doubt what cam you have. Of course, change the gear is not simple as one might think, you just need to read up on how to. When in doubt change to a carbon gear or play roulette with it. If you have flat rockers you likely have a cast cam, if you have roller rockers you likely have a roller cam.

There is no reason to change the gear at 133k or even 233k
The new dist will come with a gear and you need to know which one to order right?
Use 85 Coupe 5.0's advice. It's correct IMHO
I would not use a carbon one unless racing and I would be pulling and checking the dist after every few passes

Reactions: 1 user