Cause I'm A Newb With No Idea!! Intakes!

gtimms

Jul 21, 2012
South Jersey
OK, I'm kind of all over with this somewhat resto build I'm doing. I wanted to buy a set of nice GT40 heads and a member & made me a nice offer that I had to pass on because I found some basic issues on the car that needed addressing first. That being said, I'm always looking around to see if I can find a deal/ steal on CL. I've been looking at intakes and Gt 40s/ Explorer take offs/ Cobras are all over Im just confused and need some direction.
As far as the temp sensor goes I got that its OK to move?
The ERG needs it? Ok to get rid of? Whats the deal with it when going to an Explorer Upper?
Throttle body stock 5.0 will fit but needs linkage modification is all I can find, but what mods? Any direction would be appreciated Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The computer needs the temp sensor. The egr puts un burnt fumes back into your intake. It is a emissions device and supposedly gets you better gas mileage. I deleted mine and haven't noticed any change. Do you have your smog equipment hooked up? If not the egr isn't really doing anything. Before I deleted the egr in my tune I got rid of all emissions equipment and just left the egr plugged in so I wouldn't get a code. You must change the upper and lower intake when you move to anything other than a stock intake.. The ports will not line up by just switching the uppers.

In a wierd set up the way I bought it was that it has a catless H pipe smog pump and tubes still hooked up. So I guess its 50 - 50 in that ears. I know I need both upper & lower. The temp sensor is confusing me some say let it lay there other say move it before the TB? Then there is the TB I can find what mods it needs to hook up to the stang from the explorer??

In a wierd set up the way I bought it was that it has a catless H pipe smog pump and tubes still hooked up. So I guess its 50 - 50 in that ears. I know I need both upper & lower. The temp sensor is confusing me some say let it lay there other say move it before the TB? Then there is the TB I can find what mods it needs to hook up to the stang from the explorer??
the iat(intake air temp) sensor needs to be in the intake somewhere. Whether its in the intake tube or in the intake itself
Here is a link for the explorer tb.http://eectuning.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14033

The ACT (air charge temperature) sensor that f8tlfiveo is talking about is supposed to go in cylinder 5's intake runner on the lower intake. That is the factory mounting location on the fox body intake. The Explorer intake is not drilled and tapped for the ACT so you'll have to do that yourself.

Here's a thread that should help you out
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/help-on-using-a-gt40-explorer-intake.798382/

Might I also suggest using the search function on the site. It'll keep down on the asking of questions that have been asked many times already.

My Explorer lower had a boss for the IAT sensor.
I just drilled it and tapped it. Took a couple minutes.
The aluminum drilled and taps VERY fast.

As for using the 65mm TB that comes with Explorers, the part is exactly the same as the Fox Stang TB, except the throttle arm that your linkage attaches to is clocked wrong. I took the arm off the throttle shaft and installed the Stang arm. Easy cheezy. It was a plug n play after that.

If you don't use your EGR spacer, you will need to buy a plate with the holes to mount your throttle cable, or you can drill your own holes and make your own setup in the intake, which is what I did. I had to trim a notch into my throttle cable bracket to clear the fuel pressure regulator, since not having the thickness of the EGR plate put those two items closer together.

The intake I have didn't have a boss.. I just drilled and tapped into the #5 runner.. I am going to be using a slot style Maf when my motor gets back together do I will be using the iat in the sensor.