change in exhaust tone after spark plug replacement

jmd2914

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2002
Napa, California
i have to smog my car so i swapped out my plugs today for a fresh set. exact same plug, autolite 25's gapped to .52. when i drove the car after replacing them the exhaust note seemed to have a crisper tone to it...or maybe im just out of it...im not sure which:hide: in any case has anyone ever had this happen?
also the old plugs where kind of an ash//white color, is that normal?

thanks

sorry for the rambling

J:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

You must've had some REALLY crapped-out plugs in there before to make for any kind of an audible difference ... like, it was consistently only hitting on 6 out of 8 cylinders before you put in new plugs.

Otherwise, it's a placebo effect. Plugs don't change your exhaust note. Different heads, cam, and/or exhaust pieces will, but spark plugs? Not a chance.

thats pretty much what i was thinking, i just wanted to make sure it was my ears that were playing tricks on me instead of my car not running right. so is the white tips on the old plugs normal?

Think so. That's how the plugs have looked on just about every car I've ever had that's been running decent before a tune-up - only exceptions being in cases like the '94 CVPI I had with bad valve seals, liked to foul out plugs every 6 months. Wish I had a flatbed scanner, I could scan off that page from my Chilton manual that shows "normal" used plugs versus plugs with various problems in the air/fuel mix to give a better idea.