Changed Thermostat now having problems

sade04

Sep 13, 2004
Lansdale, PA
While changing the thermostat i needed a little more room to scrape the thermo housing so i unplugged this electrical connection right above the thermo housing. Im sorry i dont know what its called. Its right behind the upper rad. hose.
blue.jpg

After cleaning I plugged it back in and finished with thermostat install. I start the car, and it starts to surge and the check engine light comes on. I disconnected the battery and let the computer reset. After a while i turn it on and the idle problem is fixed, but 5 mins later the check engine light and fan turn on. After about 15mins the light is still on and the fan continued to run. The temp gauge never got all the way up to normal. Can anyone please help:shrug: :shrug:
Thanks

Attachments

• blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Sponsors (?)

Seems to me that you're talkin about the ECT. It has nothing to do with the gauge, but rather relaying the engine temps to the computer for A/F trim and fan control.

I think I would yank the code and see if it indicates an ECT issue. YOu can also ohm out the thermistor to see if it is calibrated.

Good luck.

your fan will run continuously if the ect sensor is not connected properly ensure the lock tab is facing up and locked also ensure wires are properly connected in plug and wires are not broken.if it was working prior to removing it may be connected wrong or pins within plug are not making contact or a wire is broke....goodluck and post results.

sade04 said:
ok this morning i took the connection off and made sure the connectors were fine, plugged it back in drove it for around for 10 minutes and everyting seemed normal. Thanksguys:nice:

Hmmm..interesting. Were the connectors clean or was there any buildup or corrosion? Are the connectors making good contact? You may need to open up the pins a bit so you make better contact.

But glad it was that simple.
Scott