• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Changing Gears & Correcting the Speedometer

  • Thread starter Thread starter tjm73
  • Start date Start date May 17, 2004
T

tjm73

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2000
2,418
2
48
Rush, NY
May 17, 2004
#1
  • May 17, 2004
  • #1
I'm a bit confused. I bought a 98 GT 5 speed and I have read that if you change the gears out back you need a Speedcal to correct it. I've also read that you might be able to simply swap the drive gear on the cable in the tail shaft.

So which is it? Anyone done this? Someone must have. Absolute accuracy isn't my concern. As long as it's reasonably close (+/- a little bit is ok), I'll be happy.
 

StngStr

Member
Jun 24, 2003
616
0
17
Central Florida
May 17, 2004
#2
  • May 17, 2004
  • #2
I'm not sure of which year they switched to electronic. I think it was 98. If so, you have to do one of the following:

Speedcal
chip
reflash stock computer

There is no "drive gear on the cable in the tail shaft" to swap out. I just had my stock computer reflashed for $100 for my 4.10's. He just plugged his laptop in under the dash and did his magic. The guy I went to (Panhandle Performance) uses EFI Solutions software.
 
T

tjm73

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2000
2,418
2
48
Rush, NY
May 17, 2004
#3
  • May 17, 2004
  • #3
tjm73 said:
I'm a bit confused. I bought a 98 GT 5 speed and I have read that if you change the gears out back you need a Speedcal to correct it. I've also read that you might be able to simply swap the drive gear on the cable in the tail shaft.

So which is it? Anyone done this? Someone must have. Absolute accuracy isn't my concern. As long as it's reasonably close (+/- a little bit is ok), I'll be happy.
Click to expand...

From the BBK website ( http://brothersperformance.com/shop/mustang/brospeedcal.html ) for their speedometer corrector...

"A must for all gear swaps on 1999-2002 Mustangs Allows Correct Calibration of your speedometer. When changing to diff gear ratio. Comes with complete instructions and setting for all gear ratios. Simple Plug In installation.

Can also use on 94-98 mustangs instead of using speedo drive gear for a more accurate speedometer calibration."

This is the source of my question. Is it possible to make the speedo reasonably close with a change to the speedo drive gear?
 

StangLou

Active Member
Jul 9, 2003
1,264
0
36
Holly Springs, NC
May 17, 2004
#4
  • May 17, 2004
  • #4
Arent the 99+ cars the only ones that require a chip or speedcal? I think from 98 back you can get away with a different toothed speedo gear
 

SLOW 97

Founding Member
May 10, 2002
667
0
0
Arlington Heights,IL
May 17, 2004
#5
  • May 17, 2004
  • #5
'94-up have an electric speedo but '99-up PCM controls the speedo so you can have your PCM re-flashed to correct the speedo. The only ways to do it on a 96-98 car is a Speedcal or a speedo gear and the speedo isn't as accurate and they tend to get eaten up becasue I belive you have to use a Jeep speedo gear which isnt a perfect fit but works ok for a little while. You're best bet is the Speedcal. I got mine from DMP for $100 and it works great. Easy to install too.
 
K

Kevin2811

New Member
May 10, 2004
93
0
0
Panama City FL
May 17, 2004
#6
  • May 17, 2004
  • #6
Panhandle Performance in Panama City?
 

Red mustang Gt 46

Founding Member
Jan 12, 2001
601
0
16
Good ol' Maryland
May 18, 2004
#7
  • May 18, 2004
  • #7
The white speedo gear will be fine...and ususally $15.00 bucks anywhere, 3 minute install. Your speedo will be off by 5-6 MPH but I'm sure you can live with that...as far as durability, I've had mine since 1998 and it's never had to be replaced (not that it doesn't happen) 98's and below use a gear driven speedo...
 
J

Joel's98GT

New Member
Jan 3, 2004
368
0
0
central OH
May 18, 2004
#8
  • May 18, 2004
  • #8
tjm73 said:
I'm a bit confused. I bought a 98 GT 5 speed and I have read that if you change the gears out back you need a Speedcal to correct it. I've also read that you might be able to simply swap the drive gear on the cable in the tail shaft.

So which is it? Anyone done this? Someone must have. Absolute accuracy isn't my concern. As long as it's reasonably close (+/- a little bit is ok), I'll be happy.
Click to expand...

The answer is, . . . It depends.

http://www.ffcobra.com/FAQ/speedo.html
http://www.gatineaumustang.com/FTspeedogears.htm
Depends on what gear you put in your car, you can change gears to 3.73 or less and just changing the gears in the tranny are sufficient in giving an accurate reading.

at 4.10 or more (i recommend 4.10 if you don't plan on using a power adder)
the tranny gears start to be less accurate. in my 98 by changing just the driven outer spedo gear I would have been off 7% high by changing both drive and driven speedo gears in tranny I would have been 3% low. I like my speedo to be dead nuts on so i know exacty how fast i'm going when mr. police man is parked on the side of the road and i really don't want to stop cruising at 70mph in a 65.

So i use the speedcal, it is dead balls accrate and cost me 50 bucks used.

If you don't want to buy a speedcal, and you said you would deal with it being reasonablely close just swap the tranny gears then, your call.
 

COramprat

...I can take it. I think.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 2, 2003
8,474
1,463
223
Sea of Tranquility
May 18, 2004
#9
  • May 18, 2004
  • #9
I just installed a Speed Cal yesterday. I had the white speedo gear in since I had my 4.10's installed last July. When I removed it to put the old one back in it was all chewed to hell. My speedo also was about 10% off so I was reading 80 and going 72 mph. And, being off 10%, I've got about 2000 ghost miles on my car. My opinion is just to go with the speedcal. That way you can adjust for different tire combos too.

As far as what cars can use the speedcal it is 96-04 5 speeds and 96-98 autos. The 99+ autos have to have a computer flash.
 
K

killervette

New Member
Feb 22, 2004
1
0
0
May 18, 2004
#10
  • May 18, 2004
  • #10
98 used gears to adjust....i had a 98 with 3.73s. 99+ is electronic
 
M

mac9898

Founding Member
Apr 19, 2002
70
0
0
Minneapolis
May 18, 2004
#11
  • May 18, 2004
  • #11
99 needs speedcal
 
H

HIGDON

New Member
Nov 2, 2003
241
0
0
Ft. Hood, TX
May 19, 2004
#12
  • May 19, 2004
  • #12
I put a white(23 tooth) gear in my buddy's 98 on Sunday when I did his 3.73's. I used a speedcal when I did my gears (4.10). Use the speedcal, no matter what ratio, the 23 toth gear is at it's maximun range on 3.73's. You could change the drive gear but it's a MPITA. Speedcal for 90 bucks at Texas Mustang.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

T
Drivetrain Can’t identify correct speedometer gear
  • townethug
  • Jul 12, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
284
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 21, 2025
FastDriver
3
Eight inches is enough for me...
  • 351MooseStang
  • Nov 27, 2025
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Replies
5
Views
676
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Mar 2, 2026
Bullitt347
0
V6 to V8 Swap info
  • 02_2v_Curtis
  • Jan 11, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
878
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jan 11, 2026
02_2v_Curtis
0
6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
Progress Thread "Alter Ego" White 1993 LX 5.0 5spd
  • idareu
  • Sep 9, 2024
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
42
Views
3K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 19, 2025
idareu
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?