changing rear brake pads

steveb24

Nov 28, 2005
wilmington, DE
time for some new rear pads and to get the rotors resurfaced. Can somebody please give me some directions on how to do this job myself or some tips on how to get it done. I dont want to pay 100+ to do this... how hard is it to change the pads and take the rotors off so i can bring them to get machined? any special tools needed? thanks alot guys!

• Sponsors (?)

bdcardinal said:
basic hand tools are all thats needed until it comes time to squeeze the pistons back in. they must be turned in, either with teh horribly designed cube, or the proper pisted return tool.
think i could use a giant pair of channel locks?

I used a regular needle nose pliers to screw it back in, no problem. Remove the brake fluid reservoir cap to allow the fluid to back out of the line, or you'll be fighting fluid pressure.

tool?...who needs it! what i did was lock a vise grip on the outside of the piston and turned while pushing it inwards, it was a little awkward but it worked like a charm

moorecd3 said:
Hope this might help. It's well worth the money, and DOES work well. Nice quality too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40732

Actually, you can "buy" that kit from AutoZone for cheaper than on that site. A few years back I rented this kit (with deposit) and when i was done I told the guy at AutoZone how much I liked it. He said I could do what most people do as just never returning it. So I went home with the kit for under 30 bucks. However, I moved out of the house... and lost the kit. Guess Im gonna have to head back to AutoZone. :)

Brute03 said:
tool?...who needs it! what i did was lock a vise grip on the outside of the piston and turned while pushing it inwards, it was a little awkward but it worked like a charm

That would work as long as you don't scratch up the side of the piston. Then you might be smelling some burning brakes ;).