Changing Rear-end Fluid.

stlboarder

Founding Member
Jul 1, 2002
Arizona
I'm going to change the fluid in my 7.5" rear-end in a couple days. I don't think it was ever done. Should I use friction modifier? What gear oil do you recommend? I was thinking the mobile 1. What weight?

• Sponsors (?)

stlboarder said:
why 80 and not 90?

It's more of a preference, they're both good, and either way you can't lose. You really don't need to use anything special as long as you're still stock, and then, it doesnt matter much because you're not really a circuit racer or depending on your rear end to hold up to 110+mph constantly, just use something that's mid-priced and you'll be happy.

Wayne

Correct me if I'm wrong. But 90 weight is better at higher speeds than 80 weight. As far as protecting the parts. And when I was at the parts store a lot of the oils were like 75w- 90 and stuff like that. Should I just look for a 90w.

If you have no posi
do not use friction modifier.

the manual for our cars tells you what quantity of 10w90 you should be putting in. i forgot the exact amount required, so i cannot tell you.

good idea to wear rubber gloves. there is a chemical agent in that lubricant potentially dangerous to your skin.