changing the interior color!?

thebigcd89

Jul 16, 2005
Bellevue,WA
Is there anyway to change the Dashboard, and the part where the airbag is on the passenger side, and the part that goes around the guages (speedometer, and etc.) to black, and also the door panels, and everything else to black... because I have tan, and I am trying to change it all to black inside, or atleast that upper part? What should I do and how, should I just take it to an upholstry shop and have them rewrap everything in something black...??? or what?

Also I want to get my seats wrapped in black leather, would I just take to a shop like mentioned above, and then have them rip off the old cloth seats, and wrap them in leather, front and back seats? Also how much about would the leather wrapping cost, and then also the dash and everything (please write it seperate if you can, like Dash- $???, Seats- $??? and Etc.-$???)

Thank you...

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I'm looking for a link for another member on here that I have. It's a place that makes custom mustang seat covers, so you'd be able to get yours in black and add whatever to it if you want. You can replace the parts, your best bet would be going to a junkyard or ebay to get them. You can also dye the panals black.

Would it be hard to replace the parts, i know the door panels would be the easiest, how about the dash, and the panel infront of the airbag, and then what about hte middle console, with the shifter, and the cup holders, also what about hte steering wheel, how hard would that be, and then the plastic parts in the back???

I think I will go by a junk yard and see what they have...

Dyeing the interior black will yield better results then the junkyard/eBay route, and it'll be cheaper, too.

50resto.com has "Interior paint" (vinyl and plastic dye) in the factory colors.

Unless you're hardcore (and wealthy) enough to spend $500+ on black Mustang airbags, you'll want to at least dye those.

thebigcd89 said:
Would it be hard to replace the parts, i know the door panels would be the easiest, how about the dash, and the panel infront of the airbag, and then what about hte middle console, with the shifter, and the cup holders, also what about hte steering wheel, how hard would that be, and then the plastic parts in the back???

I think I will go by a junk yard and see what they have...
If you go this route it's going to cost, alot and your going to spend alot of time searching for them.

jasonlee0704 said:
Dyeing the interior black will yield better results then the junkyard/eBay route, and it'll be cheaper, too.

50resto.com has "Interior paint" (vinyl and plastic dye) in the factory colors.

Unless you're hardcore (and wealthy) enough to spend $500+ on black Mustang airbags, you'll want to at least dye those.
I agree with Jason...dyeing is the best route you can take.

It would be cheaper to paint the dash eventhough it would ultimately be better to get an actual black dash since the paint on the dash will show tan scratches.

I painted mine a few months ago and I only have a scratch or two from moving stuff around. Definitely don't paint pieces that receive alot of wear. I bought a FR-500 steering wheel and painted the air bag and plastic stuff around it. I removed the dash and removed the passenger side airbag from the dash and painted it as well. It's a PITA to get the spray to get into the crease in the airbag cover so get a fine tip paint brush instead of over spraying in that area. I put about 4 coats of paint on everything I painted. The dash took about 3 cans of vinyl paint. You'll need 4 cans if you do the driver's side airbag as well. I bought 3 cans of the laquer, and I still have half a can of it left. I used this stuff from Wal-Mart I picked up in the paint area and wood finishing that was in a clear bottle and is a green liquid to clean up the parts; some sort of triphosphate solution. I used some scrubbing pads that i also picked up from the same area. Between the pad and the cleaner, I was getting red everywhere. I figured that if I'm peeling the surface off, I'm getting the dirt off as well ;) Be sure to give it plenty of time to dry or you'll have to scrub the paint back off since it will bubble up and look like ****.

I also painted the panels in the back since I never have any passengers, but the seat belts have scratched a helluva lot of paint off from vibrating and being knocked around.

The stuff from 50resto isn't really dye. It's paint so it can still be scratched off , but their paint gives good results.

I bought a center console and door panels from MPSAutosalvage, and they look brand new. If you look in my thread "Daytime Pictures" you can see that painting the glove box gives pretty crappy results. I bought one off of ebay for $37 including shipping.

You can get carpet from 50resto as well. Mind you, it takes alot of work to get the carpet to set correctly and tightly.