Cheapest Forged Shortblock???

Srpera

Jan 8, 2004
MA
I am not looking for anything expensive. I just want a short block capable of handling 500hp all day. I am close to 400rwhp now and want to up the boost a bit (maybe 425rwhp). I just need a shortblock that will handle that all day long, but affordable. Obviously, I don't need one of those 600+hp blocks, just a solid, basic short block capable of 500hp all day. Maybe some sort of crate motor?

• Sponsors (?)

you could build your own block because i believe that the block is good to 600 and so is the crank. just buy your own internals. but if you dont want the hassle of getting the right parts and having it built i would go with the mmr 600. i was wanting to do the same thing but in the end i went with the mmr 800. decked out cost about 4k

I agree on building your own shortblock. If you don't want to have the car down for the length of time it takes to build, but you can always pull a junk yard engine to build up. Worst case, you bore it over and get more cubes, right? :D Throw in some forged rods and pistons and you'll be good to go. If you aren't confident in your abilities, I'm sure it would still be a lot cheaper to hand the parts to a competent machine shop to build it for you.

is it just me but if you are looking at 425rwhp, shouldn't the stock block and internals be fine for that? To me for another 25rwhp, why spend all that money? Now if you are looking for around 500rwhp I would definately do it. The stock block should hold a low 400 with a good tune.

is it just me but if you are looking at 425rwhp, shouldn't the stock block and internals be fine for that? To me for another 25rwhp, why spend all that money? Now if you are looking for around 500rwhp I would definately do it. The stock block should hold a low 400 with a good tune.

I agree, I make 430rwhp and it's rock solid... But on the other hand I can understand why somebody would want a forged assembly for reliability...I never know when/if my motor will pop :p

HP ratings in turbo applications vs supercharged are quite different. If you dyno a turbo engine vs a supercharged engine, even though they can make the exact same power at the flywheel, the supercharged engine is making 50hp more just to power the supercharger. Think in terms of cylinder pressures. A 425hp supercharged engine has the cylinder pressures of a 475hp engine after you accound for the blower drag. The turbo engine making 425 hp at the cylinder pressures of a 425hp engine still.

+1 for hotmustang331, he had his twin turbo gt to 500rwhp on stock bock. Just need luck and good tune on your side.

425rwhp shouldn't be any problem with good tune. :nice:

HP ratings in turbo applications vs supercharged are quite different. If you dyno a turbo engine vs a supercharged engine, even though they can make the exact same power at the flywheel, the supercharged engine is making 50hp more just to power the supercharger. Think in terms of cylinder pressures. A 425hp supercharged engine has the cylinder pressures of a 475hp engine after you accound for the blower drag. The turbo engine making 425 hp at the cylinder pressures of a 425hp engine still.

Very true, I'm just not sure why someone would get a forged engine only to make 25rwhp more. Stick with your current setup or go for a much bigger number.

Look at what Ford does on its supercharged vehicles. That should give you an indication on what it takes to be rock solid for years to come. I was about 413 for almost 3 years before it finially blew up. The termi made an underrated 390hp with full forged internals designed to last 100k or more at that power.

True , that is why I want turbo instead of supercharger . :nice: