Check Engine Light Blinking While Driving???? Need Help!!

Shockey

May 30, 2012
lets start with the car 2002 mustang GT, 145k miles mostly stock other than full exhaust and some bolt ons and programmer. I was getting on the hwy the other morning and went to get up to speed and the car was studdering and had missing power I immediatly looked down at the gauges and the check engine light was blinking which i have never seen before..... by the time i went to pull over on the shoulder and check under the hood the light went solid and it ran just like it was supposed to. It has since then done this a more than a handful of times and once on the way to work this morning.... Just figured i would see if anyone has had similar problems or what they did to fix this or any suggestions.

• Sponsors (?)

im pretty new at this but what is the KAM, and the car came with a superchips handheld proggramer that plugs in under the dash which i havent messed with other than to see what code was popping up when i first got it which was O2 sensors i think. I talked to the guy i got the car from and he hasnt changed the plugs in a couple of years and has never changed the fuel filter, but has serviced everything else..... which makes no sense to me.

The KAM is the information stored for the adaptive strategy for the EEC (car's computer).

It doesn't sound like you have mods that make a tune necessary so pull the programmer, disconnect the battery, and press on the brake pedal a few times. This will clear the computer. This is a good time to pull the programmer out of the car. Leave it set for 10 minutes or so then hook the battery back up.

Start it up and drive around for a little bit. If you get the engine light again, then pull codes from the computer and post the results here.

The theory is that the programmer may be screwing up or not making good contact with the port. If your issues go away, then you can try hooking the programmer back up and check to see if your problems return. If they do... clean the contacts and try again. If it persists, get rid of the programmer.

I have experienced this problem exactly. Use your programmer to read your codes. Misfire code maybe? Mine ended up being a burned exhaust valve on cylinder #2.

I'll be monitoring this thread. It'll be a good run.

Your misfire is dumping raw fuel/air into the exhaust and could destroy your catalytic converters after a time. Mine were glowing when I had this problem.

Before any diagnosis or suggestion can be given we need to know what codes are stored. P0300? P0301-P0308? P0316? I'd rather see P0200 codes given... fuel injectors are easy to swap.