Check out what I picked up

93 teal terror

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2001
Durham N.C.
No not the corona virus.

Found this for $200. I think all its missing is the hardware. Can't go wrong for that price. I might have it media blasted and powder coated a dark gray.

While replacing the thermostat I broke a bolt off and went down the rabbit hole that it meant I needed a new motor with 4 bolt main, and then trans, then brakes, then paint, then interior. Shaping up to be a $20k thermostat.

Though I feel that if I am this far into the motor I might as well do the H/C too..but then I don't want to put that on a 190k mile short block. See above.

Anyway cool old school find.

20200711_145530.jpg

Attachments

• 20200711_145534.jpg
    20200711_145534.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: 8 users
  • Sponsors (?)

The story of pulling the engine for a new rear main seal and oil pan gasket,next thing you know the body is bolted to a rotisserie,it's all true.
While I'm in there I might as well do this,I got this off might as well upgrade that....big frickin' snowball I tell ya.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Wow! This sounds like a “If You Give a Mouse A Cookie” story. That is a nasty bolt corpse. Even if it did not come out willingly, a helicoil or timesert might have stopped the cycle early.

Wow! This sounds like a “If You Give a Mouse A Cookie” story. That is a nasty bolt corpse. Even if it did not come out willingly, a helicoil or timesert might have stopped the cycle early.

Yep the thermostat housing bolt access was next to impossible so it was pretty tough to get it drilled out. Really wasn't a way to pry the housing out without taking the lower intake off. The lower intake bolt is on the front of the head so I could probably easily get it out. But I am using it as an excuse as to why I need to upgrade. I've had this car 20 years now and wanted to do this forever, so might as well.

Thinking about going with this kit from anderson. https://www.andersonfordmotorsport....irated-top-end-kit-for-1987-1993-5-0-mustang/

Anyone used them or heard from them recently? I know they used to be well respected but things can change.

Well the disassembly is coming along. Slower than I would like but with 4 kids I only get an hour or two on weekends to work on it.

I am still waiting on the Anderson N41 cam (it was back ordered) so I haven't been in a huge rush until that comes in. Is there any reason I can't bolt the heads on before I do the cam swap? I know thats kind of out of order.

Also what do you think about the old MAC equal length headers? repaint and reuse or onto better things?

I am having second thoughts bolting a bunch of good stuff on a 192k mile short block but I've never had an issue with it using oil, etc. This is also a toy so probably as soon as I get it back together, I'll get the short block it needs and pull it apart again in a year or two.

Of course the rest of the drivetrain needs attention as well. The T-5 is original to the car and has never been rebuilt. Some sort of Tremec is in its future.

I really have to get this thing back together though. Was targeting first week of Oct so I could enjoy it a little bit in the fall. Because I am using up most of the main garage as parts storage, the 911 has been just sitting in the driveway. I really have to remedy that. Feel like an asshat with it sitting there getting rained on.

20200815_153330.jpg
IMG_20200815_155059_995.jpg
IMG_20200815_155100_001.jpg
IMG_20200815_155100_003.jpg
IMG_20200815_155100_015.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200815_155059_995.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely, you can bolt those heads on and put the cam in after it comes in. You will not be able to put the valvetrain on the heads though since you have to pull the lifters to install the cam.

Thanks-Good point I forgot about the lifters. I also forgot to set it at TDC on #1 before I pulled it all apart so I'll be setting that before the pass head goes back on.

I was going to do every mod I've ever wanted in the engine bay before putting it back together but now I am just going to focus on getting it running and do those other projects on a smaller scale.

Well the disassembly is coming along. Slower than I would like but with 4 kids I only get an hour or two on weekends to work on it.

I am still waiting on the Anderson N41 cam (it was back ordered) so I haven't been in a huge rush until that comes in. Is there any reason I can't bolt the heads on before I do the cam swap? I know thats kind of out of order.

Also what do you think about the old MAC equal length headers? repaint and reuse or onto better things?

I am having second thoughts bolting a bunch of good stuff on a 192k mile short block but I've never had an issue with it using oil, etc. This is also a toy so probably as soon as I get it back together, I'll get the short block it needs and pull it apart again in a year or two.

Of course the rest of the drivetrain needs attention as well. The T-5 is original to the car and has never been rebuilt. Some sort of Tremec is in its future.

I really have to get this thing back together though. Was targeting first week of Oct so I could enjoy it a little bit in the fall. Because I am using up most of the main garage as parts storage, the 911 has been just sitting in the driveway. I really have to remedy that. Feel like an asshat with it sitting there getting rained on.

20200815_153330.jpg
IMG_20200815_155100_001.jpg
IMG_20200815_155100_003.jpg
IMG_20200815_155100_015.jpg
Can the old headers be sandblasted and ceramic coated? I have ceramic coated Bassani headers on my ‘86, and I think they’re great.

Can the old headers be sandblasted and ceramic coated? I have ceramic coated Bassani headers on my ‘86, and I think they’re great.

I looked into it and got a quote with my Old BBK headers and decided for a little bit more momey I can get some brand spanking new JBA headers.

They were just on sale too from Jegs. Just missed it :(

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

I have these on my car (were there when I bought it).
I have no complaints other than having to enlarge the holes a little to get the bolts to line up to get them back. Those individual flanges don’t like to stay in place once they come off the car.

Long as the valve cover is off you can set lifter preload.

Yep thats how I put the 1.72 rockers on 15 years ago and never had an issue. Its been awhile but I believe you turn the motor until one set is loose, snug tighten the bolt and go 1/4 turn past. Just took them off they look brand new. They were the ford motorsport set.

I bought hi temp paint well "extra high temp" so I am going to give the headers some paint and new hardware and see what they look like. Will probably spend the money in a nicer street legal X-pipe instead of having to swap out the off road each time it gets inspected.

These equal lengths have always been a PITA. I put these on 20 years ago. MAC was never a great company, hence why they aren't in business anymore. The first set I got didn't come close to fitting so I had to send back. I kept the smog on which meant pinning the hoses back away from the headers and the bolts never would seat.