Chevy truck high beam problem...

:OT:

Sorry this is off topic, but I figured someone out there could help me.

My truck (below) won't pass inspection b/c of one stupid lil thing... the right high beam doesn't work. It's not the sealed beam bulb, I just replaced and it still doesn't function. The left one functions perfectly.

So... question is does anyone know if those trucks have two relays (one for each light) or anything else about the problem? Have to start chasing wires I guess...

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I'd highly doubt there is a relay for each beam. First I'd simply inspect the connector at the headlight and see how it looks. Put your test light on the high beam terminal and check for voltage (check the terminals with low beams on to find your low beam 12+ and ground;l what's left is the high beam feed).

Then trace backwards. If the harness feed comes down the driver side of the engine bay (common since MF switches are on that side), look at the harness connection near the driver side headlight. You should see the harness branch off (one branch goes to the driver headlight and the other goes to the passenger side of the car). There could be a break in the wire there.

If your other high beam works, the issue should lie between that harness junction and the pass. side high beam.

Good luck.

I'd highly doubt there is a relay for each beam. First I'd simply inspect the connector at the headlight and see how it looks. Put your test light on the high beam terminal and check for voltage (check the terminals with low beams on to find your low beam 12+ and ground;l what's left is the high beam feed).

Then trace backwards. If the harness feed comes down the driver side of the engine bay (common since MF switches are on that side), look at the harness connection near the driver side headlight. You should see the harness branch off (one branch goes to the driver headlight and the other goes to the passenger side of the car). There could be a break in the wire there.

If your other high beam works, the issue should lie between that harness junction and the pass. side high beam.

Good luck.

Very good advice as usual Hissin..

In later 1999 and up GM trucks, there were separate fuses/circuits for individual lights, but not on a 1994.. Sometimes the connector at the light melts and goes bad, but you would have smelled that when you changed the bulb.