Chilton's question.

bobbylx

Mar 3, 2004
Well, I was in my driveway a couple of days ago messing around with my car when my neighbor comes walking up. He hands me Chilton's for 1989-1993 Mustangs and says I don't need it anymore, do you want it. So I said sure. The thing I am wondering about is my car is an 88, the manual is 89-93, so how much different are they? I realized the will be some things that refer to the dual plug heads and some other things but would the sections about cam removal and installation and some other things like that be the same for me?
As a side note. My wife and I just bought a new house in this neighborhood. I noticed that 2 houses to my right this guy has a late 60's stang completely restored in his garage. About 4 houses to my left this guy has a late 80's early 90's notch in his garage completely fixed up and by the sound of the engine race ready. I got to make friends with these guys. :D

• Sponsors (?)

I really don't think theres a difference from a 88 to 89. 90 (mine) was the year the EFI intake was implemented but your would still be a carb.

Its weird cause I have the Haynes book and it covers 79 - 93?

In my opinion, Haynes sucks. I got a Haynes manual for my Thunderbird and I find myself consulting my Chilton's that I got for my mustang for engine info a lot more often than the Haynes. I don't really like the way the haynes is written and the way they have the sections laid out really doesn't make any sense. When you look something up in the table of contents it lists the section number, not the page number, so you have to hunt all over the place to actually find what you're looking for :notnice:

Anyway, about the Chilton's- It's listed for '89-93 because it was probably aimed more at people with 5.0 Mustangs, and '89 was the first year of the mass air 5.0. So that answers your question about that, and there shouldn't be any difference between an '88 and an '89 as far as the 2.3L go as they were all the same up til '91 when they went to the dual plug engine.

I've never used a hayse or chiltons. We got actual ford service manuals, and they are pretty good. The only problem is that they constantly require you to used speciallty ford tools that you can ussually replicated with the right sized screw driver.

I have both the Haynes and the Chiltons manuals, The haynes manual is great for my drink to be stable on. I have the Chiltons manual both in book and cd format. Simply put the Chilton manual is 10x better than Haynes any day.