Chirping noise....

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
1,269
19
99
Louisiana
I get this noise when I take off. It sounds like a bird chirping. It seems to do it once for every tire rotation. BUT if I leave it in gear and take my foot off the gas, it will stop. Which leads me to beleive it could be a bad u-joint. Because if it were a bad axle bearing then I would hear it even when I was decelerating right? It sounds like its coming from between the seats so the front u-joint would be a good guess.

What do you think?
 
I had a weird noise that was a PITA to find. It was more noticeable at slow speeds and during take offs.

Mine turned out to be the emergency brake cable housing rubbing in the keepers that hold it up. Little white grease sprayed on the keeper and the noise went away.

:shrug: Might be worth a shot.

You might push up and down on the rear of the car to see if you can get the car to make the noise while it's not moving.
 
Yea I can only hear it in the beginning of 1st and second.

And my e-brake isnt hooked up. lol. I never could get those springs on teh rear calipers back on. They have been off since I did my gears.lol
 
The U-joint seems likely to me too. You may or may not be able to make it chirp while spinning it under the car. If the needles have rusted and that's it, the joint may even still feel nice and tight.

Good luck.
 
When my throw out bearing was shot it pretty much did this same thing...

However It does sound like a u-joint with how you have decribed. Can you verify that it is once per D/S revolution (have someone see how often it happens in regards to the tire)?
 
Yep u-joints, mine did the same, then it started shaking like a tank at anything over 30, I took it out and was amazed how it even turned at all, i took mine to the local driveshaft shop and had them put in some super strong joints in both ends and then do a high speed balance for under $50 it was worth it