cigarette lighter fuse keeps blowing

66moneypit

Dec 28, 2004
Northern Va
Ok, here is the deal.

My cigarette lighter has NEVER worked since I had the car. I can live with that, I don't smoke. The fuse is good.

I am working on my car, I am working on my center console and I wiggle the flasher switch and the cigarette lighter fuse blows. I think the flasher switch was on when it happened. this is the 2nd time it's happened. Any thoughts ?

Also how close to a stock console should an emergency flasher be ? It looks like it will be right up against it.

• Sponsors (?)

This is my only Mustang....never really bothered looked at where that is on others to be honest. How is it mounted in the glove box. I don't think the current wires attached to it reach to the glove box but I will confirm that.

I just checked the shop manual and that definitely didn't clear things up.
According to it, I need a 14 amp fuse for the flasher. BUT it also says "Cigarette Lighter and Emergency Flasher" 20 amp fuse. <shrug>

Something in your emergency flasher circuit is probly grouning out and shorting the fuse. Or if something (this has happened to me before) is touchin the electrode part of the cigarrete lighter and the body (ground) then it will short as well. Turns out I had a coin in mine. Theres only one power wire to that cigarrete lighter so do a bit of investigation on whats shorting it out.

the emergency flasher in on the same circuit. They were an option and many times the dealers did a crappy job installing them. Its a pain but I would start following the flasher wires and look for burnt or bare wires

Well it appears that the emergency flasher is suppose to be in the glove box. I looked at my wiring diagram and it clearly shows it at the front top left of the glove box. Not sure why mine was put where it was :shrug:.

Was the switch attached to the metal dash? Maybe that's where it's grounding out. Mine are actually attached to the "cardboard" glove box. Theoretically(because it should already be grounded) you could drop it from the dash and let it hang and see if you blow fuses then.....