CJ Pony - Never Again

Bitter

Feb 21, 2010
I ordered two A pillars for my '68 coupe. CJ Pony wanted $200 which was fine. They also wanted $150 freight shipping. I was stupid enough to believe that the shipping charge was actually what they paid. They were shipped Fedex ground on 6/23 and arrived 6/25. The box from Dynacorn says it weights 4.5 KG (just under 10 lbs.) They say 13 lbs. so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. The box measured 24x11x6.5. Here's what Fedex says the shipping charge should be:

CJPony_shipping.jpg

For those of you that like their free shipping, bear in mind that stupid people like me pay 10 times the shipping charge on over-sized items to subsidize it.

• Sponsors (?)

I would definitely give their customer assistance a call and explain the situation. They have usually been resonable whenever I had an issue. If not, there are lots of other Mustang parts houses out there who would appreciate your business.

It's inevitable that you will get screwed every once in a while. I got screwed just last weekend when I bought something from a guy at the Mid-America Shelby and Ford meet. It's a chance we take when messing with these cars.

But I would also call their customer assistance line and see what they can do for you.

For those of you that think I would have been bettered served calling, I prefer to deal in writing. I’ve had problems in the past (not with CJ Pony) with promises made by phone that there is later no record of. I did email one person at CJ Pony mentioning the $150 charge, but not complaining about it as I had no idea what size the package would be. I also wrote (to customer service) asking when the item would be shipped as my credit card had been charged the $150 shipping charge. Apparently neither raised a red flag as the only response was a shipping confirmation email 2 days later. I chose to use this forum (and others) to voice my frustration that my emails don’t get a response, not just this time, but in the past. Could I have handled it better? Your responses say so and I agree.

For those of you who have used CJ Pony with good results, I hope you will still use them. They have good parts and (usually) free shipping. To their credit, Steve at CJ Pony has promised to look into it and I have no doubt he will. My apologies to those that think I went about it the wrong way. With all the money I have sunk into a car that is nowhere near ready to be put on the road, $150 is more than just pocket change. To the extent that I let my frustration get the best of me, you people and CJ Pony deserve better.

For those of you that think I would have been bettered served calling, I prefer to deal in writing. I’ve had problems in the past (not with CJ Pony) with promises made by phone that there is later no record of. I did email one person at CJ Pony mentioning the $150 charge, but not complaining about it as I had no idea what size the package would be. I also wrote (to customer service) asking when the item would be shipped as my credit card had been charged the $150 shipping charge. Apparently neither raised a red flag as the only response was a shipping confirmation email 2 days later. I chose to use this forum (and others) to voice my frustration that my emails don’t get a response, not just this time, but in the past. Could I have handled it better? Your responses say so and I agree.

For those of you who have used CJ Pony with good results, I hope you will still use them. They have good parts and (usually) free shipping. To their credit, Steve at CJ Pony has promised to look into it and I have no doubt he will. My apologies to those that think I went about it the wrong way. With all the money I have sunk into a car that is nowhere near ready to be put on the road, $150 is more than just pocket change. To the extent that I let my frustration get the best of me, you people and CJ Pony deserve better.

Fair mea culpa.

You have to give the vendor full chance to make it right before going viral with it. My experience with CJ has been nothing but positive, even when processing returns.

I have not really had any issues with CJ. I have bought several things from them in the past. One thing I wish their website would specify if something is in stock or not though. Most of the stuff I have gotten had free shipping.

CJ is pretty decent. I've ordered from them about 5 or 6 times now, some big orders.

My complaints:
- Almost every order, at least 1 item is backordered. They don't tell you when ordering. Sometimes it takes months to get the item in.
- I've noticed that their shipping charges seem a little inflated. Nothing like what happened above tho.
- They don't know how to handle international customers it seems. On my last large order, there was a bunch of stuff backordered. Luckily, it was in within a couple of weeks. The bad part is that on the customs forms they listed the full invoice and $$ value for each shipment. This resulted in me having to pay customs and import taxes for the whole value of the order twice. I got charged for $2000 worth of parts instead of $1000. When I called to complain they were no help at all. They told me it was too late and would not compensate me for the extra fees I had to pay. I now request that they do not ship anything until they can ship the whole order together.

I have found that they have some of the best prices, and would order again knowing what to expect.