• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Cleaned up the Exploder upper...

  • Thread starter Thread starter ratio411
  • Start date Start date Feb 20, 2013
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
3,870
73
109
Pensacola FL
Feb 20, 2013
#1
  • Feb 20, 2013
  • #1
and it turned out better than I thought it would.
Always nice when that happens.
I was going to drill/tap the 2 additional plate holes needed, but now I think I am just going to cut the head off the 2 spare screws and epoxy them to the plate, just for looks...
 

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Feb 20, 2013
#2
  • Feb 20, 2013
  • #2
Very nice. Took me about 8 hours worth of work stripping, sanding, and buffing to polish mine.

What are you doing about the vacuum lines and the IAT . I see your lower has the boss in #5 to tap. As you don't run an EGR are you going to plug the EGR hole in the lower.
 

NIKwoaC

中國製造
15 Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
5,525
943
214
Chengdu Province
Feb 20, 2013
#3
  • Feb 20, 2013
  • #3
I always liked the looks of the Explorer intake. Good work.
 

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
3,870
73
109
Pensacola FL
Feb 20, 2013
#4
  • Feb 20, 2013
  • #4
mikestang63 said:
Very nice. Took me about 8 hours worth of work stripping, sanding, and buffing to polish mine.

What are you doing about the vacuum lines and the IAT . I see your lower has the boss in #5 to tap. As you don't run an EGR are you going to plug the EGR hole in the lower.
Click to expand...
The lower has never been retrofitted to a Stang.
It came out of the u-pull and has been on the shelf since.
The upper spent some time on a Fox, and has been cleaned up a couple times in stages.
I just did the final cleanup, grinding off some ugly bumps and casting flash, before a nice paint job.

I am on to the lower next.
The other lower that was original to the upper is still on one of our cars, with a Cartech upper.
On that lower I tapped the EGR hole on top and put a pipe plug into it.
On this lower, I am just going to use port blockers at the head, and not worry about blocking the EGR port anywhere else.
The first thing on my list for the lower is drilling and tapping the IAT boss.
 

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
3,870
73
109
Pensacola FL
Feb 20, 2013
#5
  • Feb 20, 2013
  • #5
I want to have the lower bead blasted for a natural look, but I don't have access to a blaster anymore, so I might just go ahead and paint it. The only problem with that comes when you spill oil or gas on the lower... which will happen sooner or later.
 
M

mustang 88

Member
Oct 21, 2012
60
4
9
cleveland ga
Feb 20, 2013
#6
  • Feb 20, 2013
  • #6
what is the measurment of the opening on this intake?
 

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
3,870
73
109
Pensacola FL
Feb 20, 2013
#7
  • Feb 20, 2013
  • #7
mustang 88 said:
what is the measurment of the opening on this intake?
Click to expand...
I don't know the opening size.
This one is unaltered from stock.
They use a 65mm TB, so I would think that is the minimum...
This intake has run with the stock 65mm TB bolted straight to it, without any sort of EGR or spacer, and it operated fine.
 
Reactions: mustang 88
M

mustang 88

Member
Oct 21, 2012
60
4
9
cleveland ga
Feb 20, 2013
#8
  • Feb 20, 2013
  • #8
cool stock opening on a 5.0 is 58 mm I found upper and lower at pull a part for $12.83 each
 
Reactions: ratio411

NIKwoaC

中國製造
15 Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
5,525
943
214
Chengdu Province
Feb 20, 2013
#9
  • Feb 20, 2013
  • #9
My old Explorer intake measured something like 68-69mm at the opening. It was basically a quick edge break with a Dremel away from being a perfect match for my 70mm TB.
 
Reactions: ratio411

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
3,870
73
109
Pensacola FL
Feb 20, 2013
#10
  • Feb 20, 2013
  • #10
mustang 88 said:
cool stock opening on a 5.0 is 58 mm I found upper and lower at pull a part for $12.83 each
Click to expand...
It's pretty easy to make the Explorer TB work on a 5.0 if you grab that too. Easy 65mm TB.
 

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
7,387
2,745
194
Kearney, NE
Feb 21, 2013
#11
  • Feb 21, 2013
  • #11
Did you use high temp ceramic paint or powder coat? If ceramic, did you do the baking step some list on the can? I have heard the under hood temp bakes it on, but I do not believe my car gets that hot under there.

I have the same worry about the lower. I hope the ceramic paint holds up on the lower too. NAPA, if they have a machine shop, can dip and bead blast for less than my time is worth. The last time I cleaned one, the cleaning dip took off the layer of paint AND most of the powder coat. A little bead blasting put it in good shape to refinish.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,327
18,051
224
Massachusetts
Feb 21, 2013
#12
  • Feb 21, 2013
  • #12
Those intake are sexy and highly underrated.

They may all use the same lower intake (GT-40, cobra explorer) but i think the upper has the greater potential for big flat torque lines due to a larger plenum volume compared to the Cobra and GT-40.

I have one i bought for the lower intake to have ported. I already have a Ford OEM Cobra upper, but part of me has considered running the "cheap" explorer upper instead
 

Gearbanger 101

Straight Outta Locash
20+ Year Stangneter
Aug 10, 2002
9,457
1,377
234
Ontario, Canada
Feb 21, 2013
#13
  • Feb 21, 2013
  • #13
Looks good. Not sure I'm crazy about that pre-'87 manifold plate though. I actually kind of like the look of the stock Explorer plate.

I almost hate to sell mine, but damnit if I don't have this Trick Flow Track Heat staring me in the face saying "mount me...mount me" on a daily basis.

*take that any way you wish.
 
Reactions: ratio411

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Feb 21, 2013
#14
  • Feb 21, 2013
  • #14
After I opened up the intake to 70MM and cleaned up the ports, I polished my explorer intake and plate. I painted the lower with ceramic VHT.

 

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
3,870
73
109
Pensacola FL
Feb 21, 2013
#15
  • Feb 21, 2013
  • #15
7991LXnSHO said:
Did you use high temp ceramic paint or powder coat? If ceramic, did you do the baking step some list on the can? I have heard the under hood temp bakes it on, but I do not believe my car gets that hot under there.

I have the same worry about the lower. I hope the ceramic paint holds up on the lower too. NAPA, if they have a machine shop, can dip and bead blast for less than my time is worth. The last time I cleaned one, the cleaning dip took off the layer of paint AND most of the powder coat. A little bead blasting put it in good shape to refinish.
Click to expand...
The paint is VHT (or was it Duplicolor? I don't have it in front of me) 500* 'engine paint' in aluminum.
It turned out 10x better than I thought it would. Especially when I was spraying it. The paint came out thin, swirling with different shades of light and dark no matter how much I shook it up, and ran everywhere.

Once it dried though, it was level, consistent color, and seems solid without being 'thick'.
I was impressed. I think I am going to do the lower and valve covers with it.
It was on sale at advance for $5 a can, and it only took 1/2 a can to do the upper.
 

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
3,870
73
109
Pensacola FL
Feb 21, 2013
#16
  • Feb 21, 2013
  • #16
Gearbanger 101 said:
Looks good. Not sure I'm crazy about that pre-'87 manifold plate though. I actually kind of like the look of the stock Explorer plate.
Click to expand...

I like that early plate better than the later ones.
I think one reason is that it is textured.
This one is off a non-HO Fox-Bird, and I'd rather have the HO plate, but it is what it is.
 

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Feb 21, 2013
#17
  • Feb 21, 2013
  • #17
ratio411 said:
I like that early plate better than the later ones.
I think one reason is that it is textured.
This one is off a non-HO Fox-Bird, and I'd rather have the HO plate, but it is what it is.
Click to expand...

I like the original 5.0 HO or the 5.0 V8 plates best. They look very nice when shined up.

View attachment 141410
 

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
3,870
73
109
Pensacola FL
Feb 21, 2013
#18
  • Feb 21, 2013
  • #18
mikestang63 said:
I like the original 5.0 HO or the 5.0 V8 plates best. They look very nice when shined up.

Click to expand...
Image is not working.
I assume it is of the same plate I am using, as it is the 'original' 5.0 plate?
 

Gearbanger 101

Straight Outta Locash
20+ Year Stangneter
Aug 10, 2002
9,457
1,377
234
Ontario, Canada
Feb 21, 2013
#19
  • Feb 21, 2013
  • #19
ratio411 said:
Image is not working.
I assume it is of the same plate I am using, as it is the 'original' 5.0 plate?
Click to expand...

No, he's talking about this one here from the '87-'93 cars....

View attachment 134287

Yours was the non-HO intake plate.

This was the 1986 Mustang HO intake plate...



...and this one here from the Explorer....

View attachment 134289
 

Attachments

  • mump_0812_12_z+fox_body_bargains+1986_mustang_gt.webp
    70 KB · Views: 178
  • mump_0812_12_z+fox_body_bargains+1986_mustang_gt.webp
    70 KB · Views: 226

ReefBlueHatch

Active Member
Jan 12, 2010
682
96
39
Central KY
Feb 21, 2013
#20
  • Feb 21, 2013
  • #20
I bought mine off CL for $50 and it was already tapped for the ACT. Mine came off a car that had a minor fire under the hood, so it looked awful. I used aircraft stripper and a power washer - had it bare in no time. I also painted the lower and it's holding up great. I'd eventually would like to replace the upper with a tubular or a Cobra.

And BTW, my opening is 70mm.


 
Reactions: ratio411
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
394
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
R
For Sale 2008 Mustang Bullitt for sale Richmond Hill, ON, Canada L4C 0S3
  • ROHDRNNR
  • Jun 10, 2026
  • S197 Mustangs For Sale (2005-14)
Replies
0
Views
307
S197 Mustangs For Sale (2005-14) Jun 10, 2026
ROHDRNNR
R
Electrical problem plug in the drivers kick panel
  • Mindseye007
  • Aug 16, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
167
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 16, 2026
Mindseye007
Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
new :poo: box, may need to hit you guys up for 79-82 info when i fix thIs turd.
  • rednotch
  • Sep 27, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
44
Views
2K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 23, 2026
limp
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?