Cleaning the MAF Sensor?

nickm347

Jul 13, 2003
I heard if your Mass Air Flow sensor is dirty, it really hurts your performance, and by simply cleaning it you will gain hp and performance. My question is, what do you clean it with, and does it really work?
any info on this matter will help out a lot
thanks
-nick

• Sponsors (?)

What i really want to know is what kind of crazy screwdriver do you need to get the sensor out to clean it. i can get 1 with pliers but the 1 closest to the fender doesnt allow me to use those and my only choice is to use the correct screwdriver, but ive never seen anything like it..

You need a tamper-proof torx...forget which size off hand t-20 or t-25 or something. They sell specific MAF cleaner at the dealer. Use that. Don't use brake or carb cleaner...We go through this every day @ our shop...9 times out of 10 we save a sensor with the maf cleaner.

Funny this should come up... I just cleaned mine off today. I used cotton swabs and just basic rubbing alcohol to clean it. As mentioned above the screws are security torx... not sure what size either. Anyway I was haveing the bogging problem at WOT and it sure seemed to cure that, first and second gear especially feel much stronger.

yeah, its a t-20 security bit. it came in a set of a whole bunch for like $8 at sears a few yaers back. i use cuetips and rubbing alcohol too. just be super super.....super careful and lightly touch the sensor or you will be buying a new one. make sure you get every mm of that thing.

btw, it wont give you hp and performance but will restore much that was lost and many problems have been fixed by the newer stang owners by this fix alone.

blksn955.o said:
FWIW I used a dremel tool to grind out the center of the safty torx :D , you have to have a steady hand (I used the metal engraving ball attachment) but now I can swap my electronics with a torqs screwdriver.

:rlaugh:

That is just like the guy that couldn't get his oil pan nut off, so he took off his oil filter and started the car to get all the oil out.

Just pay the few bucks and get one from autozone.

Carb cleaner will leave a residue behind. That is why I use the electrical cleaner instead. It may be excessive to dry it off afterwards, but I don't want to risk it (even with the electrical cleaner).

Alcohol will work, but you need to dry it with a q-tip afterwards.
Scott

I did it since I have a C&L also and have swapped it back and forth alot. I have acces to tools like you would not believe, that was not the problem. I just wanted to be able to get the elec. out/off with a simple hand tool instead of a socket.

BTW on the new F150 Ford used the safty torx on the beds of the new trucks. The body guys at shops are haveing alot of issues with the damn bits breaking in half/ect. (snap-on bits not some cheap arse ones).