clicking from under the car.

blkstangman88

Apr 6, 2004
my car clicks!!! its a continious clicking untill i push in my clutch. is this the tranny or just a clutch about to go out? it did the same thing about a year ago but it went away. it in a 88 gt mustang, the clutch is about 2 years old.

• Sponsors (?)

throwout bearings whistle and clicking comes from the U joints. :shrug:

I had a bad throwout bearing and it whistled all the time... pissed me off.
its easier to check the u joints than the throwout bearing, just get under the car and wiggle 'em.

u-joints are only a month old, and y would they click when the car just sitting there, i can c y they click when im driving but not just sitting. its probly the thow out bearing.

The mustang pressure plate is designed to have a constant amount of preload on it at all times.

The reason your throwout bearing is making noise, is not because it's bad, it's because your clutch adjustment/cable is too loose, and the throwout bearing is sitting there hitting the pressure plate. Step on the clutch just a little till the slack is taken out of the clutch, this should snug up the cable, and press the throwout bearing against the pressure plate, and your noise should subside. Don't step on the clutch so hard that it begins to disengage (the point where the clutch pedal starts to get real stiff)

The good news is that you are a steeda or upr adjustable setup away. install the quadrant and firewall, and tighten that cable.

You want to tighten that cable until all of the "mush" is out of the top of the pedal. leave about an inch of slack/mush before it gets stiff to press down, and you are adjusted properly. This should solve your problem, and will 99% of the time.