Clicking sound From Top of Engine (VIDEO INCLUDED)

K7Stang

Nov 21, 2018
Ohio
Well guys i have the infamous noise of the 4.6 2v. I have searched other forums and cannot seem to find anything that matches my issue. The car is a 2000 V6 but has a 99 4.6 swapped. Every harness as well as computer has been swapped too. The car runs excellent, but around 2,000 rpm, i have what i can describe as a clicking sound. I think is may be a cam follower on the passenger side, but i am unsure and would like other opinions.
Mods:
Comp 270 AH cams
Beehive springs
Longtubes
Victor Jr intake
73mm BBK TB and upper intake plenum
Steeda Underdrive pulleys
CAI
SLP LM1 cat back
O/R X pipe

VIDEO:

View: https://youtu.be/1dp0Bj8Glyw

• Sponsors (?)

I would say cam follower or lash adjuster from the sound of it. I would pull the valve cover off whatever side you suspect to be the problem side and run it at idle(or just off idle) to help pinpoint the noise with a stethoscope. You will likely get some oil splashing around, but a piece of cardboard placed at the bottom of the head above the header area will help catch most of it and limit the mess it makes.

Look for a follower with the roller seized or a lash adjuster that collapsed.

yeah if they are the original followers, I would look closely at them as they have a decent failure rate on the 4.6 and 5.4 modulars. Most of the time the roller bearing fails and the roller locks up. If you catch it in time, the cam normally survives, but look at the lobe and make sure it didn't wipe the lobe out if this is what you end up finding.

Reactions: 1 user