• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

clutch choice

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kking
  • Start date Start date Feb 14, 2021
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
K

Kking

New Member
Jan 6, 2021
5
0
1
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Feb 14, 2021
#1
  • Feb 14, 2021
  • #1
i will be upgrading to around 350hp and 3.73 gears what clutch would you guys recommend thanks
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,052
10,676
213
polk county florida
Feb 14, 2021
#2
  • Feb 14, 2021
  • #2
Welcome to stangnet
Now if we knew what model you have would make recommendations a little easier.
 
K

Kking

New Member
Jan 6, 2021
5
0
1
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Feb 14, 2021
#3
  • Feb 14, 2021
  • #3
89 fox convertible thanks
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,052
10,676
213
polk county florida
Feb 14, 2021
#4
  • Feb 14, 2021
  • #4
Get on over to the fox general talk forums and ask for clutch opjnions, list the model and any modifications.
 

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
7,387
2,745
194
Kearney, NE
Feb 15, 2021
#5
  • Feb 15, 2021
  • #5
Movin’ movin’ movin’, keep those mis-posts movin’!
... to Fox General/Talk.
View: https://youtu.be/3_rHrLHIeyI
@General karthief
 
Last edited: Feb 15, 2021

TOOLOW91

If you're the village idiot what's that make me?
20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 29, 1999
8,500
8,753
234
S.I.NY
Feb 15, 2021
#6
  • Feb 15, 2021
  • #6
Center force dual friction
 
Reactions: 2000xp8

ThinBlue502

5 Year Member
May 7, 2019
409
731
113
Ohio
Feb 16, 2021
#7
  • Feb 16, 2021
  • #7
McLeod Street level 2 is what is in my car.
 
D

Deleted member 215073

Feb 16, 2021
#8
  • Feb 16, 2021
  • #8
I like McLeod as well.
 

Potomus Pete

I'm still waiting for the fully nude shots
5 Year Member
Mar 7, 2019
3,344
1,246
153
Sarasota Florida
Feb 16, 2021
#9
  • Feb 16, 2021
  • #9
McLeod for me...Street level
 

Steel1

Mustang Master
Aug 18, 2017
1,419
639
143
Connecticut
Feb 16, 2021
#10
  • Feb 16, 2021
  • #10
Installed a Ram HDX on mine years ago no complaints, currently running it behind my 393w with no issues.
 
Reactions: 7991LXnSHO

Steel1

Mustang Master
Aug 18, 2017
1,419
639
143
Connecticut
Feb 16, 2021
#11
  • Feb 16, 2021
  • #11
Steel1 said:
Installed a Ram HDX on mine years ago no complaints, currently running it behind my 393w with no issues.
Click to expand...
Rated for up to 450hp , although I never dynoed my build it should be right around that mark, also just a street car.
 
M

Monkeybutt2000

Mustang Master
Aug 11, 2019
1,387
851
133
Lafayette,IN
Feb 16, 2021
#12
  • Feb 16, 2021
  • #12
I had great luck with the ol King Cobra clutch. I had the same clutch in a couple of different cars,couldn't kill it.
 
Reactions: revhead347 and Essn95

WhiteCobra95

10 Year Member
May 2, 2006
641
180
74
Feb 17, 2021
#13
  • Feb 17, 2021
  • #13
Is the King Cobra Clutch still available? I thought it got dropped by Ford Racing a long time ago? I put one in a friend's car over ten years and it was a Valeo (spelling?) part, so maybe there's a different part number for the same thing.
 

Boostedpimp

20+ Year Stangneter
May 8, 2003
1,451
493
154
NJ
Feb 17, 2021
#14
  • Feb 17, 2021
  • #14
WhiteCobra95 said:
Is the King Cobra Clutch still available? I thought it got dropped by Ford Racing a long time ago? I put one in a friend's car over ten years and it was a Valeo (spelling?) part, so maybe there's a different part number for the same thing.
Click to expand...
Ford Racing stopped selling it but It is still offered by Veleo who has always been who made it for Ford Racing.

Centerforce Dual friction would be my recommendation. I've used them on many different configuration of foxes with great results.
 
Reactions: revhead347

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,332
18,059
224
Massachusetts
Feb 17, 2021
#15
  • Feb 17, 2021
  • #15
WhiteCobra95 said:
Is the King Cobra Clutch still available? I thought it got dropped by Ford Racing a long time ago? I put one in a friend's car over ten years and it was a Valeo (spelling?) part, so maybe there's a different part number for the same thing.
Click to expand...

yes and no.

Ford still sells it, but it’s changed over the years. Valeo sells it even cheaper than Ford. The current pressure plate has increased torque rating. The older king cobra kit uses a pressure plate the reduced leg effort 10% over stock. I have this older kit and leg effort is very nice.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-7560-a302n
 

Gravydog

dripping from every hole
Oct 6, 2019
157
356
73
Canton Ohio
Feb 17, 2021
#16
  • Feb 17, 2021
  • #16
This has been in my car for a year, I am not gentle with it, still looked new when I just did the engine swap.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=133102310446
 

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
5 Year Member
Oct 4, 2020
5,501
2,922
173
Florida
Feb 17, 2021
#17
  • Feb 17, 2021
  • #17
Gravydog said:
This has been in my car for a year, I am not gentle with it, still looked new when I just did the engine swap.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=133102310446
Click to expand...
So I looked this clutch up on Ebay and it said 86 up.. Why would this clutch NOT fit my 83? I was told a 10.5" clutch assembly would bolt on to my original flywheel that had a 10" clutch.... Anyone know?
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Feb 17, 2021
#18
  • Feb 17, 2021
  • #18
King Cobra for that power level and street tires in my opinion. Good street manners and easy on the pedal. You can call SPEC, RAM or Mcloud for their recommendations also if you are interested; they are all good brands. The Centerforce is basically a stock clutch, so I wouldn't bother.

Kurt
 
Reactions: TOOLOW91

Dan02gt

mazing how much gas smell came from that tiny hole
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 2, 2003
909
415
113
Greenville, NC
Feb 17, 2021
#19
  • Feb 17, 2021
  • #19
Steel1 said:
Installed a Ram HDX on mine years ago no complaints, currently running it behind my 393w with no issues.
Click to expand...
Same here and would highly recommend it. I also installed the MM clutch cable and my clutch feels almost as good as the one in my 2011 GT did when it was new.
 

Willybill32

But at least it's tight!
5 Year Member
Jul 16, 2019
640
364
83
Lexington, KY
Feb 20, 2021
#20
  • Feb 20, 2021
  • #20
I had the engine out of my ‘86, and when it went in I bought the Centerforce clutch to replace my old Centerforce clutch. Absolutely no complaints about Centerforce.
 
Reactions: TOOLOW91 and Wayne Waldrep
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
85 Capri 5.0 transmission rattle
  • Mamaclean
  • May 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
206
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 17, 2026
Mamaclean
M
00 4.6L V8 new clutch won’t go into gear when on?
  • Timboslice
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
3
Views
178
The Welcome Wagon Aug 21, 2026
Noobz347
3.08 gears with a manual trans
  • limp
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
43
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Qtrhrse23
L
2006 mustang gt has high clutch bite
  • leevikisley
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
0
Views
246
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech Feb 22, 2026
leevikisley
L
T5 5th gear 89 gt
  • mac_55
  • Mar 19, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
234
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 20, 2026
Mustang5L5
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?