• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Clutch Help

  • Thread starter Thread starter sj9ers
  • Start date Start date Jul 21, 2009
S

sj9ers

Member
May 19, 2007
71
0
7
Jul 21, 2009
#1
  • Jul 21, 2009
  • #1
I have a 1969 mustang that I swapped a t5 with a roller 302 into, with a hydraulic clutch system. When I first installed the tranny I bled the hydraulic system and it seemed fine, and the transmission shifted into all gears fine when the motor was off. When I turned the car on the transmission wouldn't shift into any gears at all. So I suspected the clutch was bad since it was used and bought a clutch kit with the pressure plate, clutch, and throwout bearing and installed it. When I tried it again it did the same thing as the first time and would shift fine when the car was off, but wouldn't shift into gear when the motor was on. However when the car was on and I pushed and held the shifter in 1st the rear wheels would spin as I had the rear on jack stands, if i let go of the shifter it would just fall back into neutral. Does anybody know what the problem could be? The throwout bearing is engaging the clutch fingers because I had my dad push in the clutch while I watched the fork from underneath, so I really don't know what else could be wrong.
Thanks
 
2

2+2GT

10 Year Member
Apr 25, 2009
3,333
10
79
Southeastern Pennsylvania
Jul 21, 2009
#2
  • Jul 21, 2009
  • #2
Sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging. When you "hold" the shifter in place, it's probably just pushing the synchro against the gear, not really engaging the gear.
 

jcode68

Active Member
Jul 15, 2003
892
1
29
Massachussetts
Jul 21, 2009
#3
  • Jul 21, 2009
  • #3
Agreed. You need to bleed the hydraulic clutch more to get full travel from the clutch fork. This is pretty common issue with hydraulic clutches where you initially bleed it, see it traveling and think you are done, but you are not! You need to be getting somewhere near 3/4" of travel. What brand of hydraulic clutch are you using?
 
S

sj9ers

Member
May 19, 2007
71
0
7
Jul 21, 2009
#4
  • Jul 21, 2009
  • #4
i'm using a cnc slave and master cylinder.
 

jcode68

Active Member
Jul 15, 2003
892
1
29
Massachussetts
Jul 21, 2009
#5
  • Jul 21, 2009
  • #5
So basically the same used in the popular and no longer available JMC kits. Do a search on this forum for JMC and you will find a bunch of threads where people (myself included) had a tough time getting them to bleed and engage properly. The good news is it can be done and in the future if i had to do it again, it would be much easier now that I am more familiar with the procedure. Also, once you have it bled properly, you shouldn't need to touch it again (mine has been set adn fine for ~2 years now).
 

Glen's 1965 5.0

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2001
477
0
0
Tomball,Texas
Jul 23, 2009
#6
  • Jul 23, 2009
  • #6
The SC are a pain to bleed. I took mine off to hold the bleeder valve up to get it done. Once you have it done you will not be able to push the pushrod in by hand.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

00 4.6L V8 new clutch won’t go into gear when on?
  • Timboslice
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
3
Views
180
The Welcome Wagon Aug 21, 2026
Noobz347
4
Drivetrain Wilwood Clutch and Brake Pedal Combo Installation - Help
  • 427stang
  • Jul 8, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
83
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 8, 2026
427stang
4
M
85 Capri 5.0 transmission rattle
  • Mamaclean
  • May 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
207
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 17, 2026
Mamaclean
M
Drivetrain Broken clutch cable- what it looks like
  • JulianR
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
641
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 10, 2026
gkomo
S
Drivetrain Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd issue
  • Scott_S
  • Apr 23, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
977
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 14, 2026
Mindseye007
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?