Clutch is worn...what do you guys recommend?

topless98gt

Adhesive Feces
Mar 31, 2005
Arlington, TX
I was thinking about getting a CenterForce DF a while back, but then I heard they suck. Can anyone back this up or defend this? Also, what other clutches out there are good? I think the King Cobra's are too stiff, so I doubt I want one of those. I want one that will take a lot of beating, but will grab REALLY well. Any suggestions/recommendations? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I just put in a Centerforce DF and wish I would've went a diferent route. It's way too soft, creates extra vibration, and the price was up there. If you do a search, it seems every clutch seems to have downsides except I've never heard a bad thing about McLeod.

I've never had a problem with the Centerforce DF. I had it in my last car and powershifted the hell out of it for 2 years without a hiccup. my brother had one in his 11 sec car for 5 years before it finally started slipping.. well over 300 track passes and daily driven.

do yourself a favor and get an adjustable cable and quadrant setup no matter what clutch you choose...

Ive heard good things about the c/f. Drove a cobra with the dual friction once. Its good, but not as much room to slip it as with others, so I like mine better for street driving. I just installed a king cobra and like it alot. Doesnt feel any stiffer than sock to me, but seems to grab better. Id recomend one unless you are going forced induction or building serious hp.

Ram Clutch's

I have the RAM Stock Replacement Clutch and it is one of the best clutches. It will last up to 455Hp so I will not have to upgrade for a long time. They are only about $200.
I also have put in a Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel and it is great. You just have to get use to it but it makes the Mustang so much quicker. The Steel Flywheel is about 40-50lbs estimated and the Fidanza is only about 20-15lbs so there is a great weight savings there. You will have a new Mustang after the swap.

topless98gt said:
I was thinking about getting a CenterForce DF a while back, but then I heard they suck. Can anyone back this up or defend this? Also, what other clutches out there are good? I think the King Cobra's are too stiff, so I doubt I want one of those. I want one that will take a lot of beating, but will grab REALLY well. Any suggestions/recommendations? Thanks!

I have NEVER heard anything negative about a CenterForce. I *HAVE* heard negative things about the SPEC clutches though. People with SPECs eithe rseem to have no problems or LOTS of problems. Its like a lottery with those things i guess :shrug: ...same thing with those King Cobras...

McCLeod is another good company that makes great clutches. I personally would go with a Centerforce, their reputation is great.