clutch job.....how much??

• Sponsors (?)

depends if you buy the parts and have them put in or just go somewhere and say I want a new clutch. I think it's like 50 bucks though to get it resurfaced, I could be wrong but the stock replacement is only $100

It all depends, but I can see how it could be $700-800 here locally. This should include a RMS, Pilot bearing, etc etc.

DO be sure the shop evaluates your input bearing retainer - if it is chewed up, you will be getting more repairs done.

David (5spd Gt) has a nice write-up on what is involved in doing a clutch. Searching his posts for his article might give an idea as to whether you and a friend want to tackle a clutch.

Good luck.

Where I work, $600-$800 out the door. That would be R&R trans, resurface flyweel, clutch disc, pressure plate, TOB, Pilot berring, rear main seal, adjust clutch, 12K/12month warranty.

Do it yourself, $250-$400, all your labor, no warranty (you f up, your doing it again).

While the tranny is out, put in a new steel bearing retainer. If you don't, you will get the classic Mustang "squeeky bearing". I have had five stangs and every one had "squeeky bearing" at some point. Make sure you get an adjustable cable. Steeda has adj cables for $39 and the bearing retainer is under $50.

600-800 is pretty cheap out the door. I'd like to have tranny work done there. The last time I heard someone with a stang get the clutch changed, the R/R was almost $600. I guess it all depends on who does it. I'll do it for much less......... :D I don't mind being on the floor pulling a tranny.

If you read the aforementioned article, it will give you a feel for what all is involved.

It is pretty academic.

I payed around 700 out the door a year ago at a JBA shop in San Diego and that included a King Cobra Clutch set and of course the steel retainer. As for doing it yourself, unless you have a lift it is about a weekend and a small degree of aggravation if you have never done one before and you would almost certainly need a helper, plus you would have to get the flywheel machined on a weekend which could be a chore in itself.

jmd2914 said:
so if i have the shop order the clutch and install it im lookin at about $800?

That should be a good number to bet for a regular clutch job. If you want to do a qudrant, cable, berring retainer and all, it might be more and you'll probally have to get the parts yourself.