Drivetrain Clutch Pedal Bushings - When to Replace?

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
Claremore, OK
I think mine are original to the car but I did not own it the first 7 years so have no idea how it was treated. I have the clutch cable out and wanted to see if there was a way to tell if the bushings needed to be replaced without removing the pedal assembly as it is a bitch in my car with all of the alarm and stereo wiring. I tried moving the pedal side to side to see how much play the shaft has in it but it seems minimal to me, maybe 1/16+ inch. Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

I think mine are original to the car but I did not own it the first 7 years so have no idea how it was treated. I have the clutch cable out and wanted to see if there was a way to tell if the bushings needed to be replaced without removing the pedal assembly as it is a bitch in my car with all of the alarm and stereo wiring. I tried moving the pedal side to side to see how much play the shaft has in it but it seems minimal to me, maybe 1/16+ inch. Thoughts?
My 91 lx 5.0 clutch pedal would squeak every time I pushed it in to shift gears was driving Me insane lol have the bushings changed and now it ingauges like buttery smooth again no more squeak.

Mike 5L5 knows for sure, but i'm pretty sure he said they were the same.
I have to pull out my pedals sooner than later to install the MM hydroboost conversion kit.
I installed the hydro straight up to the pedal and the rod angle isn't the best, it's been fine for years, but it weighs on my mind.

Hopefully Mike will jump in and say one way or the other.

@Mustang5L5

Read some threads where some have said they are different but only a couple that said they were the same but did not say if they actually replaced them or not.

I took a quick look on my lmr order list on their site, i happen to have bought the clutch bushing set and the brake light hardware pin and bushing kit.
Not totally sure on the brake light hardware kit (like $10), i'm known to just go in and buy anything that i think i "might" need because nothing is more irritating than taking something apart and not being able to put it back together immediately.

Called LMR and they confirmed the brake pedal bushings are a difference diameter and are no longer in production. If I can dig up a Ford part number I will post it.

Reactions: 1 user
American Muscle has these saying brake and clutch bushings:

I found them locally at the OReillys and AutoZone so I picked them up for $7. For $7 I felt like it was worth the gamble so when it warms back up I will pull the pedal assembly apart and see if they actually fit.

Reactions: 1 user