clutch problem now guys. need help

BK_CAULEY

it's built for speed not longevity, woman
Dec 26, 2006
Thomasville, ga
ok i installed a new clutch in my car. its a 5.0 swap car btw. i tried to use the 4 banger cable but it didnt work. i installed a new cable and it feels ok and when i let off at idle it holds fine and i can drive it around and stuff. but as soon as i start to give it gas i make it about 1/4 throttle and it slips.

i though i might have installed the clutch disk in back wards but someone told me if i did it would be squeeling and i would be able to tell.

i was also able to bolt my pressure plate up to the flywheel and there wasnt a large gap so thats another way i think it might be in right (but im not sure) if it was backwards the same person told me the pressure plate would have been held off the flywheel.

the only thing i can think of is the cars cable quadrant is different. i mnot sure but something aint right. im thinking the factory 4 cyl one may be bigger or something.

please help

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like the cable adjustment is to tight. Do you have an adjustable cable? If so loosen it up.

If not you need one.

I dont know why. I do know that if the cable is to short for what ever reason it is going to hold the pressure plate open enough where it will slip.

All a firewall adjuster will do is let you shorten the cable more... You need a cable that has a threaded rod on the end where it connects to the clutch fork. Then you can set the tension properly. Then a firewall adjuster will work wonders.

I just remembered... Does it have the stock plastic adjustable quadrant? If so you need to figgure out how to unlock the stupid thing to let it be as loose as possible. The stock quadrant had some sort of ratchet mechanism built in and it would adjust the slack by pulling up the pedal and then pushing it to the floor.

That maybe how you unlock it by pulling up on the pedal.

I just remembered... Does it have the stock plastic adjustable quadrant? If so you need to figgure out how to unlock the stupid thing to let it be as loose as possible. The stock quadrant had some sort of ratchet mechanism built in and it would adjust the slack by pulling up the pedal and then pushing it to the floor.

That maybe how you unlock it by pulling up on the pedal.

it dang sure does. i will try it first thig in the morning man. thanks. :nice: im gonna research it now to see how that works.

right on.... I forgot about those dumb things. Then I re-read your original post and it came to mind....

Those plastic adjustable quads stripp out real easy so when you have some extra $ buy a good quad and adj cable and fire wall adjuster.

I bought a whole kit on ebay for under 50 shipped last year.

when I started reading the posts, I was going to say it was the adjustable quadrant and to pull up on the pedal to let it self adjust, but 5.0droptop already got it. Good call dude, I like hearing stories about stuff that is fixed easy when the problem seems severe.

I will say though I have never had any problems with my stock plastic quadrant, and I have an FRPP HD clutch kit installed. Based on what people say, I hope I never have any problems and am crossing my fingers. Use it till it breaks, I say.

Said it before a hundred times, and I'll say it again: DO NOT BUY AN ADJUSTABLE CLUTCH CABLE! :fuss:

Your stock cable will do just fine. Buy an aftermarket quad and FWA, and use your stock cable with them. About 95% of all adjustable cables will inevitably wind up binding, fraying, and/or snapping in a short amount of time. I know, a few folks will jump in here saying, "Well I've had X brand adjustable cable for X amount of time and never had a problem." Yes, there are rare exceptions, perhaps due to a lot of different factors - clutch kit being used, driving style/habits, and so on - but again, FAR MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, ADJUSTABLE CABLES ARE CRAP.

Again, stick with the stock cable and just throw an aftermarket quad and FWA on there, and you'll be doing great for years and years. UPR and some other places usually have a packaged deal with the quad and FWA for a decent price, so you might want to go that route.

Said it before a hundred times, and I'll say it again: DO NOT BUY AN ADJUSTABLE CLUTCH CABLE! :fuss:

Your stock cable will do just fine. Buy an aftermarket quad and FWA, and use your stock cable with them. About 95% of all adjustable cables will inevitably wind up binding, fraying, and/or snapping in a short amount of time. I know, a few folks will jump in here saying, "Well I've had X brand adjustable cable for X amount of time and never had a problem." Yes, there are rare exceptions, perhaps due to a lot of different factors - clutch kit being used, driving style/habits, and so on - but again, FAR MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, ADJUSTABLE CABLES ARE CRAP.

Again, stick with the stock cable and just throw an aftermarket quad and FWA on there, and you'll be doing great for years and years. UPR and some other places usually have a packaged deal with the quad and FWA for a decent price, so you might want to go that route.

+1 on the adjustable cables being crap. I've had two different brands crap out on me, dad has also had one break.

Be sure to buy a quadrant and FWA that are designed to work with the stock cable. I have the Steeda quadrant and FWA. It has a trick little feature to keep the adj from backing out. Been on the car for over one year. Has not moved.:nice:

Lot of talk for someone who has an AUTO!! :rlaugh:

Well, I don't get to your posts in Tech much, but...

You adjust the stock cable/quadrant, by toeing up on the clutch pedal....you should hear a pop if it is way off. You won't hear anything if it's not too far off. Then push the clutch in and let it back out, start it up and that should solve it. I highly recommend keeping the stock cable and quadrandt. Aftermarket ones require you to adjust them often, and if you don't have them correct, they cause premature clutch failure.

I had a stiff stiff clutch on my 81 with the 01 drivetrain. I though oh great, I can't get the clutch pedal to the floor, but I tried that and it worked. Feels great now.