Clutch releases too far out

CoryB

Nov 17, 2008
When I bought my GT the clutch quadrant was bad. So I ordered this new quadrant/adjuster/adjustable cable from Summit Racing. As it happens, the original cable was good so I decided to stick with that instead. It's a two-position quadrant and the clutch cable is in the first (closest to firewall) position. The adjuster is seated against the firewall so there's no adjustment left to shorten it.

I tried the adjustable cable and the clutch was almost impossible to work. But the clutch release point was about 2 inches from the floor - just right.

The problem I'm having now is that the clutch releases about 1.5-2 inches from the top - as in the pedal is almost completely out before the car will move. There's no slack to adjust either. If anything it seems that the cable might be too short rather than too long.

Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Did you remove the rubber fireewall grommet on the OEM cable?

Did you compare the old and new cable (tough to do with the cable in the car I know). Some quadrants require the use of a longer cable (like the one the quadrant possibly came with).

Good luck.

stick with a stock Ford cable rather than the adjustable ones. They are more hassle than they are worth. If you move to the other hook maybe it will give you some play on the adjuster.

I did remove the rubber grommet and filed the 4 teeth off so the housing would fit into the firewall adjuster.

I compared the lengths of the cable housings and they seem to be the same. The end at the quadrant is on the hook closest to the firewall, so it's as long as it can be.

The only thing left to double-check is that the housing end at the transmission is seated properly.

I tried the adjustable cable and the clutch was almost impossible to work. But the clutch release point was about 2 inches from the floor - just right.

The problem I'm having now is that the clutch releases about 1.5-2 inches from the top - as in the pedal is almost completely out before the car will move. There's no slack to adjust either. If anything it seems that the cable might be too short rather than too long.

Any ideas?

A high pedal is better. 2" from the floor is WAY too loose. If you ever powershift your car, you'll be glad it has a high pedal. It's going to be an adjustment for you but leave it like it is, you'll get used to it. Now if it's high and slipping, that's a different story.