Clutch Slipping at 20,500 miles...WTF?

jprez22

Jan 24, 2003
Dallas, TX
Hey All,

I need some advice, this morning I was shifting into first to take off and the clutch seemed to slip and catch on its own after about 5-7 seconds while in motion. The engine was warm from previous drives so I don't think cold weather or anything caused it. Should I get this looked into? Seems very strange a clutch would go out so quickly, especially since it has never been to the track or driven really hard. To test the clutch I got on the highway and got to 5th gear and smashed the gas, the clutch didn't slip doing that. Any other good ways to test if a clutch is about to kick the bucket?

Would Ford even consider it a warranty item? Also, I tried the clutch pedal adjustment (put tranny into 1st, lift up on clutch pedal, and depress slowly) and that didn't make any difference. Any suggestions?

JP

• Sponsors (?)

waranty issue

Yeah My clutch just went on my car @ 25,000 miles and Ford said that they wouldn't cover this under the factory waranty. The 3650 trans has a problem with the front of the clutch blowing out but your problem sounds like a burnt disk. FORD says that putting the car in Third under heavy load will cause the clutch to go alot faster, older stangs didn't have this problem under heavy load.

Sounds to me like a good excuse to install a Spec Stage II and a billet flywheel. :nice: Seroiusly though, sorry to hear that. That's kinda weird, because I now have 46K on mine and I can still chirp 3rd with my Nittos. Granted, 37K of those miles, the car belonged to a chick, and they're not USUALLY incredibly hard on cars. Take it in to get it looked at (hopefully it's still under warranty). One possibility I can think of though, check your oil. Is the car leaking oil? The clutch in my '87 5.0 slipped a little because I had a rear main leak. Hope it works out for you.

LOL, my stock clutch lasted 12.5K miles. You can tell if the clutch is going bad when you shift really hard from 1-2. If the motor just revs, but you don't go anywhere, then it is fried. Like GotMustangs said, its just time to upgrade.

clutch is a normal maint. item. Not covered under warranty. I replaced mine at 20,000 or so because I thought the pressure plate was bad. It wasn't , but once in there, you might as well replace. I went with a FRPP HD. Take your choice of clutches. :nice: