Clutch/Tranny Issues, can i get an idea on what i need?

OrangeMustangGt

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2002
Cape Cod, MA
whell, my tranny has been getting progressivly worseas far as 2nd gear. it physically shifts fine, but when shifting into 2nd, sometimes it will pop out when i release the clutch, and i havent been able to downshift in 2nd for a long time. i believe its my blocker rings, which shouldent be a problem due to i will be getting a rebuild kit and a video.lol. Oh whell. Here is my question tho....when ive been driving my car for a while, the clutch acts up. it makes a pop when i release it, like a hammer hitting the bellhousing, and the clutch pedel hangs up a bit. so as i take off, it sorta lags, then catches hard, like im relaseing it fast, causing it to jerk the car. now, when its off, and hot i can sit in the car and push in and relase the clutch and it makes that pop sound. What im getting at is i have to remove the tranny anyway, what do you think i should replace as im in there....do you think that could be my Clutch fork and pivot slipping off a bit, possibly where the throwout bearing rides on the tranny. or woould you say the actual clutch(king cobra).? It dosent slip, or act up otherwise unless its hot then it does that crap.If i could, i would take it apart and see, but i wanted to minimize down-time because its my dailydriver, and wanted an idea on some parts i should order. tell me what you thinksorry for the long post.

Unfortunately, with the transmission being screwed up, we would only be playing a guessing game.

Once you get the transmission out, leave the bellhousing in, and have someone operate the clutch pedal while you watch. Hopefully it will tell you what your problem is.

Either way, remove the pressure plate & disc, and inspect it for damage. Might as well, while you are down there.

Don't go cheap when it comes to your drivetrain. You have a decent amount of power going through the drivetrain, and you don't want to do shoddy work & regret it later.
Scott