clutch/tranny noise

I know clutch/tranny issues are hard to diagnose sometimes, but I'd thought I'd see if you guys may have an idea on this one--

I've had my '87 for a few weeks now, and didn't notice anything until recently, when I was waiting in line at toll road booth, and had the window down: when I let the clutch out and give it a little gas, I hear a light squeaking/squealing sound. It's not very loud, but it is noticeable outside the car, and goes away as soon as the clutch is totally disengaged. It only makes the noise from a dead stop (not between gear changes).

My car is a an AOD-T5 convert, and the change was done not long before I bought it. It shifts great, has perfect clutch travel/position, the correct mounts and crossmember, etc. It also makes no other noises when idleing, driving, etc.

Could this noise be the pilot bearing or input shaft? Like I said, it's not loud and the tranny/clutch function perfect otherwise. Just wondering it it is something I should be concerned about.

• Sponsors (?)

I drove the car tonight, and also noticed an intermittent "chatter" when the clutch is engaged (in addition to the aforementioned noise). It goes away when I take my foot off the pedal.

I thought a throwout bearing made noise when the clutch was disengaged (foot off the pedal) ??

Any ideas? Still thinking it may be the pilot bearing.

I drove the car tonight, and also noticed an intermittent "chatter" when the clutch is engaged (in addition to the aforementioned noise). It goes away when I take my foot off the pedal.

I thought a throwout bearing made noise when the clutch was disengaged (foot off the pedal) ??

Any ideas? Still thinking it may be the pilot bearing.
yea the TOB will make noise and stop when you push the pedal i believe... it might be the pilot bearing like you think...