clutch/transmission??? plz help

usaf_branham

15 Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Boston
i asked the q last week regarding my throw out bearing but i would like to add a little more info to the previous thread.

at any rpm (until i cant hear it over my exhaust) in at least neutral and any gear, if i have my foot off of the clutch, i hear a high pitched squeel. it sort of sounds like belt squeel. if i push the clutch in even an 1/16th of an inch it goes away, also, if i put my foot behind the clutch and pull up on it a little bit, the sound either changes in pitch or goes away.

I was thinking it was the throw out bearing, however my dad informed me that it may be the bearing on the main shaft in the front of my transmission... im stumped and would like a couple of opinions.

Its not difficult to push the clutch in / and im not having any driveablity issues with it... its just annoying, and im sure that means im on borrowed time with what ever part is going bad.

wmburns... what do you think?

• Sponsors (?)

Anything mechanical that is squealing can't be good.

trinity_gt brings up some interesting points. If it is a dry release fork, it may be possible to carefully put a little grease on it.

Normally, I would also recommend for any Son to listen to their Dad. :rolleyes: However, in this case does it matter?

Regardless of it being a bad throw out bearing or input shaft, the effect is still the same. Remove the transmission.

Once off of the car, it will be easy to diagnose any TOB, pilot bearning, release fork, pressure plate, flywheel surface issue there may be.

If the problem is not found external to the transmission, most good transmission places will do a tear down and estimate for repair for free.

Good luck.