Clutch worn or stretched cable?

BuRnInRuBbEr

May 21, 2006
Hey i'm new here i just got my '89 GT 5spd about a week ago. Well when i got the car, the clutch was very grippy, and it engaged right off of hte floorboard, not even an inch off. I went to the track last night, and i never launched it hard or anything, maybe 2 burnouts, and now my clutch engages in the middle/closer to the top. I was wondering if it was even possible to wear my clutch down that fast... i never smelt any clutch burning. Could this be just a stretched cable, or would that have an opposite effect. Please help me out...

• Sponsors (?)

Check your clutch quadrant. If you still have the wonderful factory plastic quadrant, then it probably should be replaced. Don't get another plastic one, they suck. BBK and others make good adjustable ones at about $100.

This happened to me and I thought my tranny had gone out. I knew the clutch was good, so I just knew that was not the problem. Anyway, I broke down and forked out the cash for a tremec (good investment I wanted to do anyway). Found out after the swap that it wasn't the tranny, but the quadrant. Now I have the tremec I wanted to begin with. Oh yeah, I made sure the wife didn't find out. She still thinks the tranny went south.

Feel free to use this tactic at home to get a new tremec but don't blame me if your wife finds out.:D