Cobra 11 headers with 5 speed installed

I have been looking around for a long time now and trying to find headers that will make it past the 88 5 speed belhousing is a pain, I have the 1978 cobra 11 running a 302 with 289 heads, the trans came complete from a 1988 and when I tried to reinstall the m11 headers well they hit the bell on both sides, years ago I seen a set of shorty replacement headers and didn't get them as I was still running the original automatic, now I am using the stock manifolds but really want the motor to breath better with headers, anyone have any good idea's??

• Sponsors (?)

I have been looking around for a long time now and trying to find headers that will make it past the 88 5 speed belhousing is a pain, I have the 1978 cobra 11 running a 302 with 289 heads, the trans came complete from a 1988 and when I tried to reinstall the m11 headers well they hit the bell on both sides, years ago I seen a set of shorty replacement headers and didn't get them as I was still running the original automatic, now I am using the stock manifolds but really want the motor to breath better with headers, anyone have any good idea's??

I had the same trouble on mine fox bell housing and trans. I used hedman headers and I had to shorten the clutch fork. It did work but the clutch cable did end up resting on one of the header tubes I had to wrap both with heat wrap never did have trouble with it. I do have two pair of hedmans if you are interested new and old. The new ones left, one of the tubes is beat up good. I was trying to make it fit better with the cable and new blowproof bellhousing. They are a good start to cut into 100 plus shipping was what I was looking for. Or you could go custom headers but thats big bucks. Here are some pics.
DSCN0820.jpg
DSCN0821.jpg
DSCN0822.jpg
DSCN0823.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0820.jpg
    DSCN0820.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCN0821.jpg
    DSCN0821.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCN0822.jpg
    DSCN0822.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCN0823.jpg
    DSCN0823.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 146
Always willing to try as I want to cam it up pretty good seeing how I have the 5 speed now, where abouts are you located? I am in Calgary Alberta, I have also thought of the block hugger headers but am also wondering how rough that would be to make work too, was also looking into building my own headers, even thought of going over the frame thru the inner fenders down to a set of sidepipes and also thought of the 289 HO manifolds too

Always willing to try as I want to cam it up pretty good seeing how I have the 5 speed now, where abouts are you located? I am in Calgary Alberta, I have also thought of the block hugger headers but am also wondering how rough that would be to make work too, was also looking into building my own headers, even thought of going over the frame thru the inner fenders down to a set of sidepipes and also thought of the 289 HO manifolds too

I have a 347 with a t-5 as well and I started with the block hugger headers and had to give that up after a lot of work. I went with the headmen long tubes that are in the photo above but had some custom bends to miss the clutch fork. I also had it split so tubes will come out single. The passage side header will break down into three pieces and driver breaks down into two. Sure helps with getting them in and out.
Jansen

I live in Oak Lawn IL. I would say between the two you can make a nice set for your car. I can look too see if I have that clutch fork laying around also, its hack but it worked for 8 years.