Brakes Cobra brake calipers for 13" rotor

Swhitney

Feb 11, 2019
Oregon City
I have a feeling that my current calipers are not meant for a 13" rotor... Is it possible to simply go to the auto parts store and purchase some 2000 Mustang Cobra front calipers?

Photo Jun 03, 12 37 07 PM.jpg
Photo Jun 03, 12 37 11 PM.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Oh and one more weird thing. The speed bleeder on the driver side is a different size than the passenger side. The hole size I believe is standard on the driver side, where the passenger side is 10 mm threads.

The contact area is based on pad height. Yes that is how Cobra calipers are. Yes they are made for 13" rotors. To test this, take one pad and place it again the rotor near the outside edge. Notice how close it follows the circumference.

Different bleeders is weird, but not unheard of in remanufactured calipers.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, those are cobra calipers.

That caliper was initially designed for 12" rotors and later adapted to 13", so you can see why it doesn't touch some of the rotor. But your setup is correct. Your rotor is an aftermarket rotor that has a tigher hat area that the OEM rotors, so it exaggerates how much area of the rotor faced is not being contacted. the OEM rotors give a slightly smaller area.

The 94-04 Mustang calipers are an interesting mix of fine and course banjo threads and m10 and 3/8 threaded bleeder ports. Ford changed things around for some reason.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, those are cobra calipers.

That caliper was initially designed for 12" rotors and later adapted to 13", so you can see why it doesn't touch some of the rotor. But your setup is correct. Your rotor is an aftermarket rotor that has a tigher hat area that the OEM rotors, so it exaggerates how much area of the rotor faced is not being contacted. the OEM rotors give a slightly smaller area.

The 94-04 Mustang calipers are an interesting mix of fine and course banjo threads and m10 and 3/8 threaded bleeder ports. Ford changed things around for some reason.

Do you know the 3/8 size and threads and length? Trying to replace them, as the hex is somewhat damaged.