• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Cobra brake kits going up in price???

  • Thread starter Thread starter BlownStangGT
  • Start date Start date Sep 6, 2007

BlownStangGT

REPEAT
Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
3,860
6
58
Lancaster, PA
Sep 6, 2007
#1
  • Sep 6, 2007
  • #1
I was looking around because Im going to have to do some brakes on my car this winter and checked out American Muscle becuase they are semi close to me and usually have good prices. Well thier 13" Ford racing cobra brake upgrade is now $569.99 Last time I checked, it was like $300 something. I checked buyfordracing.com and they want $399.99 for the kit. I really dont need the cobra brakes for the driving I do, but the 13" brakes look good behind some 18" Wheels Anyone know why?????
 
B

bakos24

I find there is nothing better than a tasty wiener
Nov 29, 1999
4,461
87
134
NE, OH
Sep 6, 2007
#2
  • Sep 6, 2007
  • #2
Yeah, I noticed that too. Makes me wish I got them when they were like $299. . Wonder why they are going up so much
 

BlownStangGT

REPEAT
Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
3,860
6
58
Lancaster, PA
Sep 6, 2007
#3
  • Sep 6, 2007
  • #3
bakos24 said:
Yeah, I noticed that too. Makes me wish I got them when they were like $299. . Wonder why they are going up so much
Click to expand...

Exactly, I wanted to buy them at $299, but didnt need the brakes, now I do and look haha, but I really dont NEED the cobra's...just nice to have
 
K

Kilgore Trout

Fried or Broiled ?
10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
4,749
95
134
Sep 6, 2007
#4
  • Sep 6, 2007
  • #4
Who cares they are still gonna be virtually the same f'n PBRs anyways.

If you are gonna upgrade do not install another set of PBRs
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,330
18,058
224
Massachusetts
Sep 6, 2007
#5
  • Sep 6, 2007
  • #5
Glad i got mine at $310/kit.
 

DropTopPony

Noob Slayer
Founding Member
Aug 13, 2002
2,570
3
48
south jersey
Sep 6, 2007
#6
  • Sep 6, 2007
  • #6
I wouldn't have even done the Cobra brakes if i had a 99-04 GT...your brakes are pretty good. I would just paint the calipers and buy some better looking rotors if you want upgraded looks.

Now a 4 piston Cobra R brake upgrade would be worth doing.
 
0

007

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2002
3,287
24
69
Broke
Sep 6, 2007
#7
  • Sep 6, 2007
  • #7
The Cobra brakes made a massive improvement on my car - one of the better value for money mods I've done, especially since my stock rotors and pads were toast anyway. I have previously faded the stock brakes to nothing, and these are just way stronger.

Bought calipers and MM stainless lines from stangsuspension.com (matched caliper price from buyfordracing). Rotors from rotorpros.com. It was about 400 total I think.

Holy crap... stangsuspension want over 400 for the bullitt front calipers only.

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=262

Ford must have raised the price a ton. Reminds me of the aluminum driveshaft - damn I was I'd bought one when they were 160 bucks. I might buy the rear brake upgrade now before it goes up too.

Sucks for you guys.
 
S

san~man

O-G
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
8,546
3
78
A little grass shack on a big lava rock
Sep 6, 2007
#8
  • Sep 6, 2007
  • #8
Kilgore Trout said:
Who cares they are still gonna be virtually the same f'n PBRs anyways.

If you are gonna upgrade do not install another set of PBRs
Click to expand...

I disagree. For the price you pay ($400.00 or so, dunno about now), you get the upgrade to the larger rotor, SS lines, and a much improved braking response over stock. The 11" stock stuff is simply crap.

Not everyone wants to/can afford to go with the 2300X set at a cost of about $900-1000.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,330
18,058
224
Massachusetts
Sep 6, 2007
#9
  • Sep 6, 2007
  • #9
DropTopPony said:
I wouldn't have even done the Cobra brakes if i had a 99-04 GT...your brakes are pretty good. .
Click to expand...


They are good stock brakes, but the cobra brakes were a huge improvement....especially during high speed stopping such as coming off a highway at 75MPH +


Big calipers are nice and all, but leverage beats everything.

If you had a rotor large enough, you could stop your car by pinching the rotors with your fingertips
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Brake pad and rotor upgrade
  • Sparky714
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
486
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 17, 2026
Sparky714
Progress Thread 91GTstroked 90 7 up convertible build
  • 91GTstroked
  • Apr 18, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
404
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 22, 2026
91GTstroked
Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
395
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
Rear Disc and Rims Offsets
  • TripleYellow
  • Nov 11, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
19
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 9, 2026
TripleYellow
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
341
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?