• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Cobra Brake Upgrade?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MT1083
  • Start date Start date Jun 23, 2005

MT1083

New Member
Sep 16, 2003
1,033
0
0
Charlotte, NC
Jun 23, 2005
#1
  • Jun 23, 2005
  • #1
I've been looking at the 13" kits from mustang tuning and steeda and I was wondering which cobra's do these kits come from (at least the calipers anyway)? Or are all the cobras the same including the 03/04 models? It seems like mustang tuning will be the cheapest considering the free shipping and stangnet discount. Is there anything else I need besides the rotors, calipers, pads, brackets, and ss lines? I don't know if banjo bolts or anything like that need to be replaced. Just looking for info...
 

flsteed

New Member
Apr 26, 2005
23
0
0
Jun 23, 2005
#2
  • Jun 23, 2005
  • #2
In most kits the calipers come loaded with the pads. Just need calipers and rotors, ss lines, no brackets for99-04 GT Also, absolutely do not order from Speed Concepts for any reason!!
 

MT1083

New Member
Sep 16, 2003
1,033
0
0
Charlotte, NC
Jun 23, 2005
#3
  • Jun 23, 2005
  • #3
yeah I just searched for different words than I did before and I found a few more links from Black2001GT. I can get everything from mustangtuning shipped to my door for $565. Why do you not recommend speedconcepts?
 

DropTopPony

Noob Slayer
Founding Member
Aug 13, 2002
2,570
3
48
south jersey
Jun 23, 2005
#4
  • Jun 23, 2005
  • #4
you do need new banjo bolts....and there is a difference in cobra calipers. i think around 99 they increased the piston size. so as long as you have 2 of the same you'll be ok. I ordered the red bullitts so they are 01 with the bigger piston size.
 
6

68Stang

Founding Member
Jan 27, 2000
674
0
16
Denton, Texas
Jun 23, 2005
#5
  • Jun 23, 2005
  • #5
Make sure you get stainless lines. I did the swap about 2 years ago and have never looked back. (03 cobra brakes and russel stainless lines)
 

MT1083

New Member
Sep 16, 2003
1,033
0
0
Charlotte, NC
Jun 23, 2005
#6
  • Jun 23, 2005
  • #6
Hey I just contacted Performance Parts Inc. and talked to they guy there and I can get the 13" upgrade with steel lines, and carbon kevlar pads for $510 shipped to my door. Those are with the flat faced rotors though. Any thought on the slotted versus normal rotors. I highly doubt there is a performance difference, but thought I'd ask.
 
6

68Stang

Founding Member
Jan 27, 2000
674
0
16
Denton, Texas
Jun 23, 2005
#7
  • Jun 23, 2005
  • #7
Slotted/Drilled is for street bling purposes only. In the beginning they were used to help rid the friction surface of gases that build up when pads get hot (typically in race situations). With modern pads, this is not a problem in any situation. Plus, you lose friction surface by slotting/drilling it away. Go solid.
 

flsteed

New Member
Apr 26, 2005
23
0
0
Jun 23, 2005
#8
  • Jun 23, 2005
  • #8
A great place to buy stang parts is GEFracing, they offer super fast shipping, as far as Spud Corncepts, the guy is a moron, I ordered my Cobra setup, 2 weeks later not even shipped!! "ON BACKORDER", never notified , I finally cancelled my order. he may charge a few dollars less, but, his customer service totally blows!
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Brake pad and rotor upgrade
  • Sparky714
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
495
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 17, 2026
Sparky714
8
87 lx 4cyl to v8 project 4 lug disc conversion questions
  • 87lx428
  • Mar 24, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
566
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 25, 2026
87lx428
8
C
Fox Need help identifying brake setup
  • Cypher02xd
  • Apr 25, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
176
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 27, 2026
Mustang5L5
F
For Sale 03 Redfire Cobra Convertible
  • FastFox5oh
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • SN95 Mustangs For Sale (1994-04)
Replies
0
Views
237
SN95 Mustangs For Sale (1994-04) Jul 14, 2026
FastFox5oh
F
Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
400
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?