cobra r wing question

Slapyo

Admin Dude
Feb 8, 2003
Anaheim, CA
does anyone know if the cobra r wing bolts right up to the holes that the stock wing uses on an 03 gt? if not, can you fill the holes and have it appear that the holes are not there. i have seen people use the little plugs. i guess if i can't fill the holes some how i could just buy a new trunk without a wing.

• Sponsors (?)

Slapyo said:
does anyone know if the cobra r wing bolts right up to the holes that the stock wing uses on an 03 gt? if not, can you fill the holes and have it appear that the holes are not there. i have seen people use the little plugs. i guess if i can't fill the holes some how i could just buy a new trunk without a wing.

I really don't think it matchs up to the factory bolt holes. I think you'll have to get them filled or start out with a V6 trunk that doesn't already have a wing installed (like you mentioned). There is also an exact place on the trunk where the R wing sits on the actual R's. I would try to mount it exactly how the original was. And lastly, you will want to reinforce the bottom of the wing to the trunk...don't just bolt it on.

mhanna77 said:
Yes, the Cobra R spoiler doesn't bolt up anywhere near the factory holes. The holes can be repaired but you have to weigh the cost of repair to the cost of a V6 trunk lid.
i think that is because u have an 2000 GT. from 2001 and up, Ford used different wing. I got the 2001 GT and i just bought the cobra R wing and it fits perfectly to stock holes.
if u want the pics, i can email it to u.

This is what the real cobra r wing looks like
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Attachments

• standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 200
  • standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 215
The "real" Cobra R wing from Ford Racing will not bolt up directly. Two holes will show. I filled my lid and and painted it. With hind-site, I will suggest that you just get a V6 lid with no holes. You might be able to get one cheap at a junk yard. Don't worry about the lid supporting the wing; Ford includes some big thick filler pieces that will reinforce the area around the holes. There is no problem with the wing at all. It installs easily. Just be CAREFUL drilling the holes! Go SLOOOOOOOW. Ford also sends you the wing that is ready to paint (barring any shipping damage).

I LOVE my Cobra R wing! It is actually functional and helps to keep the rear down around corners.

red dragon, can you take a couple pics of your wing please, the one i'm getting is off ebay, it is an actual ford part, but its not coming with any of the extras, just the wing.. so if you could show me the filler peices that support the wing that would be great..

-Ryan

Red Dragon said:
The "real" Cobra R wing from Ford Racing will not bolt up directly. Two holes will show. I filled my lid and and painted it. With hind-site, I will suggest that you just get a V6 lid with no holes. You might be able to get one cheap at a junk yard. Don't worry about the lid supporting the wing; Ford includes some big thick filler pieces that will reinforce the area around the holes. There is no problem with the wing at all. It installs easily. Just be CAREFUL drilling the holes! Go SLOOOOOOOW. Ford also sends you the wing that is ready to paint (barring any shipping damage).

I LOVE my Cobra R wing! It is actually functional and helps to keep the rear down around corners.

Err dude, the wing is functional at 150 mph.... Most mustangs top out at 135 and even less with gears.... Dont think for a second that the Cobra R wing does anything more on your car than the stock wing.....

The real 'R' wing does provide more downforce than the stock wing. In fact, the actual number if I remember right was 800lbs at 170mph. I understand that a stock GT won't go that fast but even at lower speeds it's significantly more than the stock wing. In my case, I'll be testing it at even higher speeds.

Also, during installation after drilling you have to fill in the holes with epoxy. This is to fill the space between the inner liner and the outer shell. Don't skimp on this step if you really run your car at upper speeds. BTW, I may have a complete extra set of the spacers and maybe the bolts. I'll take a look when I get to the office. Had a local dealer break one of my new wings in half that took me several months to get. They still haven't paid me for it.

Starterbomb said:
Err dude, the wing is functional at 150 mph.... Most mustangs top out at 135 and even less with gears.... Dont think for a second that the Cobra R wing does anything more on your car than the stock wing.....

this is the most ignorant thing i have come across in a while.

yeah right.......Cobra R is not functional @ 149mph but is @ 150mph.
and a GT's top speed being 135 & less with gears.

with 4.10's you can do more than 135mph.

and about the Cobra R not being functional............i would like to see someone hold onto a Cobra R spoiler while standing in a vert going down highway @ 80mph & live to tell me it is not funtional til 150mph.
if they did they would not be doing it with any teeth left. :D